No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bowtie2

Hi all!

I am currently working on a project where I am trying to align assembled scaffolds from the Human Microbiome Project to a gene sequence (agaA from C. striatum). I am having trouble with this since every time I try to make an alignment, I get a result like this:

27528 reads; of these:
    27528 (100.00%) were unpaired; of these:
    27528 (100.00%) aligned 0 times
    0 (0.00%) aligned exactly 1 time
    0 (0.00%) aligned >1 times
    0.00% overall alignment rate

I'm not sure if this is an accurate result. Is there a better way to approach this problem? The reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to find mutational hot spots in the agaA gene (which I know for sure is found on the skin microbiome) and so I thought that I could perhaps use the data available already in the HMP.

Thanks!

So basically, none of your reads were mapped according to what you have shown here.

I think you could try to relax the parameters a bit, so see if any of your reads align to the reference genome.

Comment

Thanks for the response! Where can I set the parameters for the alignment? Is it in the Bowtie2_build file?

Comment

If the query sequences are longer than the reference sequence, that may cause problems. You might be better off shredding the sequences to something like 200bp before mapping.

Comment

Do you mean dividing the query sequences further? I believe this could be the case since the reference sequence is just one gene.

Comment

I mean breaking the query sequences into pieces each of length ~200bp, so that they will be shorter then the reference sequence.

Comment

If the scaffolds are much larger than the gene how about doing the search other way round (gene against the scaffolds)?

Comment

OKay I can write a script to try that. Do you think it would be possible to use the query sequences as the reference and try to align my gene of interest to that? Or would that not work (still trying to understand how the indexing works :|)

Comment

Ah! Genomax, you took the words out of my mouth :P

Comment

Depending on how many mutations you expect you may want to use a non-NGS aligner.

Brian: Would Pacbio aligner from BBMap work?

Comment

Actually, you can also just use local alignment if the query is longer than the reference. That often works.

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions! I tried the alignment method suggestions you guys sent me (actually still have to look into BBMap), but am getting the same results (no alignment).

Do you guys have any suggestions on loosening the parameters? Will this affect the integrity of the alignment though?

Also, I was wondering if you guys knew much about the HMP database in general. I'm still trying to get my head around what the scaffolds are referring to and what exactly the assembly fasta files contain. The documentation on this seems a bit sparse/doesn't correspond well with the data on the website. Is the chance high that my gene is actually not even present in the sequences assembled? (Though this seems highly unlikely that it wouldn't be present in any of the scaffolds).

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                          Depending on how many mutations you expect you may want to use a non-NGS aligner.

Brian: Would Pacbio aligner from BBMap work?
                          If the scaffolds diverge sufficiently from the gene sequence, then yes, the BBMap Pac Bio version (mapPacBio8k.sh) or Blast would be better, as they are much more tolerant of low-identity alignments than Bowtie2.

Comment

Agreed. Just make a blast db out of your scaffolds and blastn them with your gene

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses