Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq 600bp sequencing problem

Hi, our Genomics Center sent me a link to the MiSeq run they are doing for us with the new 600 bp chemistry - and I notice something on the run stats that scares me:

1. Yield perfect read 1: 170.8M
    2. Yield perfect read 4 (second 300 bp read): 9.6M!

The run is still going- will the second read keep going up? It started at 8.9 M for this statistic, and I panicked because in the first attempt to sequence my amplicons, the second read was a lot lower than the first.

I'm worried because I added indexes and adapters via PCR (regular primer, then adapters+ regular primers, then indexes+adapters in 3 sequential PCRs) and I'm so afraid I screwed that up.

Last edited by LizBent; 01-29-2014, 05:43 AM. Reason: wrong info for second read

Originally posted by LizBent View Post
    Hi, our Genomics Center sent me a link to the MiSeq run they are doing for us with the new 600 bp chemistry - and I notice something on the run stats that scares me:

1. Yield perfect read 1: 170.8M
    2. Yield perfect read 4 (second 300 bp read): 9.6M!

The run is still going- will the second read keep going up? It started at 8.9 M for this statistic, and I panicked because in the first attempt to sequence my amplicons, the second read was a lot lower than the first.

I'm worried because I added indexes and adapters via PCR (regular primer, then adapters+ regular primers, then indexes+adapters in 3 sequential PCRs) and I'm so afraid I screwed that up.

The indexes and adapter sequences should be on the same oligo, so if you messed up the indexing PCR, you'd fail to cluster. What's your cluster density?

Comment

Originally posted by tonybrooks View Post
      the indexes and adapter sequences should be on the same oligo, so if you messed up the indexing pcr, you'd fail to cluster. What's your cluster density?
      1067 +/- 23

Comment

Is this a 2D barcode or 1D barcode run? V2 or V3 chemistry?

If this is V2 chemistry and these are amplicons then this run is overloaded at 1000+ clusters/mm^2.

Are you sure you have 170M reads for Read 1?

Comment

Optimal loading for amplicon on V2 is around 800K/mm2, but it's very library specific.
          We've had libraries run at 1000k/mm2 with no problem at all.

Either way, it looks like you library is clustering. Next thing to check is the Phas/Prephas. You're looking for values below 0.1% for your reads, indexes are usually higher. Higher values indicate a possible problem with your reagents.

The % perfect applies only to the PhiX spiked into the run, hence the low yield.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            Are you sure you have 170M reads for Read 1?
            Same question: are you sure you have 170M reads? The spec is 25M.
            AllSeq - The Sequencing Marketplace
            [email protected]
            www.AllSeq.com

Comment

Originally posted by AllSeq View Post
              Same question: are you sure you have 170M reads? The spec is 25M.
              Pretty sure you're looking at the "Yield Perfect" column in BaseSpace, which is the PhiX reads. M = Mb here, not number of reads
              My last run had 12.78M reads pass filter = 3.2Gb for R1 (250bp * 12.78M)
              I has 10% PhiX spiked in, so 320Mb of that 3.2Gb was PhiX
              Yield Perfect was 240M, so I had ~75% %Pefect (in actual fact, it was 75.4% according to BaseSpace)

Comment

The run statistics are getting better, so I think I was freaking out for no reason... I have 3.4G of data from read 1, and it's halfway through read 2 and there are 1.7G of data, so this run should (?) be fine...

Sorry to have bothered you all. I really hate the BaseSpace run summary interface!

Comment

At times like these having less (or not continuously updated) information actually turns out to be better :-)

Comment

At times like these having less (or not continuously updated) information actually turns out to be better :-)
                    So true. I just started my first V3 run Tuesday so I was watching it closely on Basespace. First up pops the cluster density at 523 +/- 477! Panic inducing! Turns out to be 983, which is perfect. Then clusters passing filter popped up at 43% +/- 52%! Completely useless information but worrisome. Turns out to be 91%, so I'm happy.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses