No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Read Coverage for 454 paired end read data

Hi
    I have just received some paired end read data from 454 flx sequencer. The coverage is 6X for three of my samples and 3X for one of my samples.
    These samples are microbes with no reference strain.
    Can anyone tell me if this coverage is the norm?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Coverage depends on the size of your genomes. Do you have any idea of sizes?
    Also, what kind of PE was it?

In our last 3kb PE run, we sequenced 2 bacteria in a 2 lane PTP. The 1st one had a genome around 4.5M and the coverage was 56X. The other one is larger than 7M and we got 16X coverage. We knew the 2nd library was not very good but decided to sequence anyway.

So if your organisms were small, I think 6x and 3x coverage is not very good.

Comment

Hi Lisa,
      You will have to give us more to go on. Like how many and what type of regions were used on the 454 sequencer? Also what genome size are your microbes?

--
      Phillip

Comment

On my previous microbes projects, 20X seems to be the depth that works well with Newbler. More depth will typically break the contig more since the errors accumulate and less depth does not generate enough signal.

But this is not absolute and it depends on your genome.

Comment

Hi
          Thanks for your comments. This is the only information I have at present. The size of the genomes is 2.7MB for the 6X coverage and 1.5MB for the 3X coverage.
          If people think that 20X is average then is anything I can do to improve the analyses or is it best to repeat the runs?

Comment

Don't you know how the PTP was divided: 2, 4, 8 or 16 regions? If you had a sample per region in a 2-lane PTP the coverage you got is way too low. How was the library prep?

Comment

I don't have that information of the sample per region at the moment. I am waiting for the information. The only information I have on the library prep is from the protocol "Paired end lib prep method manual - 20kb and 8kb span"

Comment

I never worked with 8 and 20kb libraired. My experience is with 3kb.
                My recomendation is you need to gather all the info: about quality of the library, number of reads generated, and how the PTP was divided before deciding what to do next.

Comment

Yes Thanks for your comments. This will help me pose more specific questions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                    by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                    02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                  0 responses