Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invited ECO via PM for his opinion on this.

Dear Eric,

Approaching the final phase of preparation to publish SEQanswers, we need your opinion in choosing the appropriate journal.

Would you please leave your comment in http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...7405#post57405

Thanks.

With regards,
    Marco
    Marco

Comment

• What do you think Marco?

Comment

• Originally posted by ulz_peter View Post
        What do you think Marco?
        I consider possibility.

original goal (1):
        It seems either Nature / Science is hard. Unless we find some articles there that discuss community science. Then we can refer to that article and reply with what we have written.

If in case we find none, then (2):

I do not have personal preference. But of course, the wider the reader's base, the better. I think Genome Biology, Genome Medicine, PloS CompBio are both good choices.

Just leave the format or words limit alone first.

I suggest emailing the editors pre-inquiry emails.
        Marco

Comment

• So there is an article in Nature about community science:

Technology: The inspiration exchange

Chris Lintott

Nature, 478, 320–321 (20 October 2011) doi:10.1038/478320a

Published online
          19 October 2011

Which is not too long ago, but there is the 3-author limit on the correspondence and I guess the letter doesn't really fit in the perspectives part. I'm looking for something similar in Science...

Comment

• editing suggestions, text, title, cover letter

Hi all,

For the section on implications--I could shorten it to:

"As the accelerated flow of technology development has dwarfted traditional peer reviewed information sharing, the computationally-abled HTS community has successfully connected itself by means of the electronic scientific forum, SEQanswers, since 2007."

The wonderful word data analysis give rise to a possible title:

"SeqAnswers, Reading Biological Sequences as a Community since 2007."

And I would like to see the letter in a general science journal such as Science because of its importance. Please submit and ask in the cover letter to waive the existing format.

Comment

So my choice is for Genome Medicine or Genome Biology. You didn't state the limitations for publishing in one of those journals. Are there any regarding word count or number of authors?
              Neither journal restricts authors and they are both open access journals so there would be a fee (depending on who submits the manuscript; and also this fee can be waived in some cases). An Opinion article would be 1500-3000 words which I think fits nicely for our topic. I would go for a shorter length (closer to 1500) and then go for more figures; particularly the two figures Rob came up with.

There are some other formats we could also shoot for, such as "Method" or "Database"; however given that the draft is more focused on showcasing a new way of doing science, I would think an "Opinion" would be a great format. A traditional "Review" format would be too long and I think ill-suited for our goals.
              Last edited by adaptivegenome; 11-21-2011, 06:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Joann View Post
                Hi all,

For the section on implications--I could shorten it to:

"As the accelerated flow of technology development has dwarfted traditional peer reviewed information sharing, the computationally-abled HTS community has successfully connected itself by means of the electronic scientific forum, SEQanswers, since 2007."

The wonderful word data analysis give rise to a possible title:

"SeqAnswers, Reading Biological Sequences as a Community since 2007."

And I would like to see the letter in a general science journal such as Science because of its importance. Please submit and ask in the cover letter to waive the existing format.
                I don't think that our paper will work in Science/Nature. But that is just my opinion. In addition to Genome Biology or Genome Medicine we could shoot for PLOS Biology which is both highly ranked and also widely read (not as much as Nature... but they could be sympathetic to our cause as they have obviously pushed for open science, etc.)

I agree with Marco we should simply send off presubmission inquiries to see who is interested. I would be willing to contact Genome Medicine if there is interest from everyone as I know someone people there...

BTW: Joann, I like that title. We might try for something a little more aggressive than "reading"... for example "decoding" or "interpreting", but it is a great title.
                Last edited by adaptivegenome; 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Hi genericforms,
                  The title is strictly data based, upon some top word counts from the forum. As a generalist, I like to promote wider scientific exposure. Also, I am wanting to see exactly how many times the question "What's a paired-end read?" gets posted on the forum by a newbie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joann View Post
                    Hi genericforms,
                    The title is strictly data based, upon some top word counts from the forum. As a generalist, I like to promote wider scientific exposure. Also, I am wanting to see exactly how many times the question "What's a paired-end read?" gets posted on the forum by a newbie.
                    Clever title then!

Comment

• Agree with genericforms: great title!!

Comment

Agree with genericforms: great title!!
                        Maybe we can work a discussion of the title into the paper?

Comment

• Originally posted by genericforms View Post
                          Maybe we can work a discussion of the title into the paper?
                          Certainly into full length version of a paper(s). Also I am so pleased that "quality" is another top expression--both in the field and around this forum in particular, and proven of course by the word data.

Comment

• Given the number of times that the article is getting to get cited, and the consequent effect on the journals impact factor, it may be possible to get the journal to waive publication/open access fees.

Comment

• Originally posted by genericforms View Post
                              I don't think that our paper will work in Science/Nature.
                              While I like setting ambitious goals, I tend to agree.

I agree with Marco we should simply send off presubmission inquiries to see who is interested. I would be willing to contact Genome Medicine if there is interest from everyone as I know someone people there...
                              This is my vote. Presubmission inquiry to several journals to test the waters.

Comment

• Originally posted by ECO View Post
                                This is my vote. Presubmission inquiry to several journals to test the waters.
                                I will contact Genome Medicine tomorrow. Can someone else take care of the other journal suggestions? I think from the thread people suggested:

Genome Biology
                                PLOS Biology
                                PLOS Computional Biology

Were there other journals I might have missed? Also we will obviously need to act quickly with respect to finalizing the authors, title, and content if we are pre-approved...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses