Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nested Multi-Level Model for RNA-Seq Differential Expression

I have read several other postings regarding nested models, but they did not seem to exactly capture my particular case, and I'm a bit unsure how to proceed with analysis of my model. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a RNA-Seq read count table with (1) multiple tissues from (2) two species and (3) three replicate individuals from each species.

In only three of the tissues from only one species, there is a particular Trait we are interested in. The remainder of the tissues from that species and all the tissues from the other species do not exhibit the 'Trait'.
    (Here 'Trait' is a two-level categorical variable). Therefore, the 'Tissue' categories are nested within 'Trait'/non-'Trait'.

The first analysis I tried was just a simple flat comparison with all tissues that exhibit the 'Trait', compared against those that do not exhibit 'Trait.' This, however, falls prey to the classic fallacy when a nested model should be used, and the flat comparison has inflated P-values. This also led to some situations where very high differentials in one Tissue with 'Trait' would compensate for another Tissue with 'Trait' and no difference at all to the non-'Trait' tissues.

So far I have been using limma with voom and have tried several models including:

(1) design <- model.matrix(~0+Trait) using only the 'Trait' coefficient (flat)

(2) design <- model.matrix(~0+Trait/Tissue) using the 'Trait' and all estimable interaction coefficients

(3) design <- model.matrix(~0+Tissue) using all pairwise contrasts between 'Trait and 'nonTrait' to calculate an F-statistic

(3) design <- model.matrix(~0+Tissue) using the contrast (A+B+C)/3 - (D+E+F+G+H+I)/5 where ABC are the 'Trait' and DEFGHI are non-'Trait'

I have also tried these models with/without the duplicateCorrelation() function.

What I want is to have a list where (1) all the tissues with 'Trait' and (2) all the replicates within that tissue both consistently show a differential with all non-'Trait' tissues. The flat comparison is the closest, but does not use the 'Tissue' information to make sure all Tissues have high differentials.

I know from previous postings that most diff. expression software does not explicitly handle mixed or nested models, but if anyone has any tips or has dealt with a similar model, I would appreciate the help. Also, even though I'm currently using limma, I'm perfectly happy to switch if another software will accommodate this model better.

Thanks,

J

Most DE packages (limma, edgeR, DESeq2) already use shrinkage, which is also the benefit to using a mixed-effect model. Given that, the most obvious model would simply be ~Trait+Tissue, since it sounds like that's what you actually care about.

Comment

For topTable then, what coefficients would I want to use?

Comment

Just "Trait".

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses