No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help with cufflinks

Hi!
    I hope these questions won't be to stupid as I'm pretty new in the Bioinformatics field. And if these questions have been answered please point me in the right direction as I haven't found it.
    So the project I'm working on needs expression values for transcripts, genes or proteins and I am suppose to look in to high throughput sequencing data. Mainly RNA-Seq in this case.

So I have sett up bowtie->tophat->cufflinks to extract expression values for transcripts and i put in a fastq file in one end and get a couple of output files in the other.

I use the basic commands
    Code:
    $tophat d_mel_genome_fb5_22/d_melanogaster_fb5_22 SRR034813.fastq
    and
    Code:
    $cufflinks ../tophat_out/accepted_hits.bam
    1) Is this a good enough approach? Is there some flags that are common to use to get better(more accurate) results? Is there something I generally should think about?

2) When i get my output (genes.expr, transcripts.expr, transcripts.gtf) files. How do I map cufflinks internal gene ID to a real ID found at for example ensemble or other more general sources.

3) When i find for example an already processed .bam file at the GEO-Database and try to run it through cufflinks it spits out mainly errors. I assume there is more then one type of .bam formats. How do i convert (if possible) to something cufflinks accepts.

4) Does cufflinks accept other types of processed files like wiggle files or .bed files and convert to expression values for transcirpts? Is there any other programs that does or do these files not contain that type of information. The main thing here is if there is a way to cheat a couple of steps and lower the risk of making errors in the procedure.

Any help is appreciated and I hope my neewbiness doesn't shine through all that much. Thanks

If you give the cufflinks command a gtf file, it will calculate FPKMs for genes and transcripts with the names from the gtf file. If you don't, it tries to define the transcriptome itself. You can also do cuffcompare with an annotation gtf file and the transcripts.gtf file generated by cufflinks to see how different they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mgogol View Post
      If you give the cufflinks command a gtf file, it will calculate FPKMs for genes and transcripts with the names from the gtf file. If you don't, it tries to define the transcriptome itself. You can also do cuffcompare with an annotation gtf file and the transcripts.gtf file generated by cufflinks to see how different they are.
      Thanks for the info!

On my 4th question... Is there a pipeline to do what I want there? I haven't been able to find it. But may be that someone here has also been interested in expression values for specific genes that has.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses