SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Feedback/Suggestions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum Criteria to Publish ChIP-seq data ETHANol Epigenetics 7 12-04-2011 05:35 AM
Lets publish the Wiki! dan Wiki Discussion 108 09-07-2011 10:10 AM
SEQanswers mentioned for the second time in a major journal ECO Site Announcements 3 08-01-2011 09:51 AM
Jim Watson in Excruciating Detail: 454/Baylor Publish Complete Genome Sequence ECO Literature Watch 1 04-16-2008 03:43 PM
Welcome to SEQanswers.com! ECO Site Announcements 0 10-28-2007 04:59 PM

Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #21
marcowanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Yup, the point of the letter is to focus on the forum, and hopefully publish before the wiki (coming out in January).
For the letter, I think it would be suitable for SCIENCE letter (<400 words) and NATURE correspondence. Both are meant to be short. So, let's write everything first and pick the most significant points to keep.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #22
marcowanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flxlex View Post
There is some (considerable?) overlap between the bioinformatics forum at SeqAnswers, and biostar.stackexchange.com. Perhaps we should acknowledge that, and comment that SeqAnswer is targeting a wider audience than just those analyzing data using bioinformatic tools?

Sure it may seems to be. I think both SEQ and Biostar are great, and we should definitely acknowledge Biostar in the letter. However, one particular strong point in SEQ Bioinformatics Section is the freedom granted to users to announce their tools, which fostered much discussion beyond question-and-answer style in Biostar. IMO, Biostar does a better job in Q&A. So, both sites serve different purposes.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #23
andreas.sjodin

Quote:
There is some (considerable?) overlap between the bioinformatics forum at SeqAnswers, and biostar.stackexchange.com. Perhaps we should acknowledge that, and comment that SeqAnswer is targeting a wider audience than just those analyzing data using bioinformatic tools?
I think this a good selling point. The SeqAnswers has a wide community of both wet-lab and computer biologists.
andreas.sjodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #24
flxlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcowanger View Post
Sure it may seems to be. I think both SEQ and Biostar are great, and we should definitely acknowledge Biostar in the letter. However, one particular strong point in SEQ Bioinformatics Section is the freedom granted to users to announce their tools, which fostered much discussion beyond question-and-answer style in Biostar. IMO, Biostar does a better job in Q&A. So, both sites serve different purposes.
I tried to add something to the letter along these lines.
flxlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #25
marcowanger

Quote:
I tried to add something to the letter along these lines.
Thanks flxlex
Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #26
marcowanger

One caution for Nature Correspondence:

Quote:
A Correspondence is usually signed by no more than three authors; this is because Correspondence is a forum for readers' reactions, not for statements by organizations or groups of individuals.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
andreas.sjodin

Then I think we need to skip the Nature Correspondence alternative
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #28
marcowanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.sjodin View Post
Then I think we need to skip the Nature Correspondence alternative
Andreas, agree.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #29
suryasaha

The letter should make an effort to address PI's in the audience to make them point their students and post docs to this forum, especially if they are newbies. It will help, if metrics like the average time for response and % of answered queries were included, to present the effectiveness of the forum to non-users.

Last edited by suryasaha; 10-06-2011 at 07:13 AM.
suryasaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #30
colindaven

I think funding is an important issue. Who funds SeqAnswers ? I think if I remember rightly there was some mention one of the admins was at Pac Bio. How is advertising handled and the site supported ?

I personally do not think there is a lot of bias due to advertising etc, but some who do not know the community may be more skeptical.

Also, what are the guidelines on commercial software plugs, and should this be mentioned ?
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #31
marcowanger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by colindaven View Post
I think funding is an important issue. Who funds SeqAnswers ? I think if I remember rightly there was some mention one of the admins was at Pac Bio. How is advertising handled and the site supported ?

I personally do not think there is a lot of bias due to advertising etc, but some who do not know the community may be more skeptical.

Also, what are the guidelines on commercial software plugs, and should this be mentioned ?
To briefly answer your question (as a ordinary registered member ONLY), the writing below was the initial writing for the SEQwiki manuscript.

ECO is the founder of the SEQanswers community. SEQanswers has advertising relationships with companies. All relationships between SEQanswers and sponsoring companies are explicitly listed in “About SEQanswers” (http://seqanswers.com/index.php?pageid=about). These companies have no role in operation of SEQanswers. SEQwiki does not host any sponsored content, and all the contributed text is available under a copyleft agreement. Discussion on SEQanswers forum and curation on SEQanswers wiki is based on the entity of an individual registered with an account.

For the commercial plug, I remember the company-user is tagged with "Registered Vendor" before they can advertise, and only in "Vendor Forum", so I don't see there is any problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #32
ulz_peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryasaha View Post
The letter should make an effort to address PI's in the audience to make them point their students and post docs to this forum, especially if they are newbies. It will help, if metrics like the average time for response and % of answered queries were included, to present the effectiveness of the forum to non-users.
Maybe that's a nice catch for the future directions part
ulz_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #33
ulz_peter

Just to inform you: LibreOffice tells me its (only letter text) already 472 words... without summary or future directions
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #34
marcowanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulz_peter View Post
Just to inform you: LibreOffice tells me its (only letter text) already 472 words... without summary or future directions
Ya, obviously the text are too clumsy for a letter. But let's forget about the word limitation for now and write as much as you can. We can always trim the content down when fitting the stuff into particular letter/opinion/perspective/etc
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #35
marcowanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANol View Post
I think the future directions section is interesting. Just some ideas on what could be mentioned there:
1) The addition of a wet lab protocols wiki
2) As the size of the community increases, what are measures that can be implemented to keep the ratio of good information high to bad information? Perhaps the addition of energetic application specific moderators. This by the way it should be mentioned in the text that the ratio of good information to bad is really high on this forum.
3) Something else that might be cool is if there was some way to 'like/+1' threads and a section with the most popular threads. Might make browsing more efficient for causal readers.
ETHANol, regarding the point 3), I think the current vbulletin board has already scored the discussion thread quite well (by view count, and time-of-reply). But I am inspired by your point. Why not add a "SHARE" button, just like other site? I am not sure if it can be easily implemented, but it would be good to share the good discussion thread.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #36
marcowanger

I think the overall idea is already there. We just need to make the wordings precise and simple. And less feel like an advertisement.

I would be impressed and visit the site if I read this correspondence.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #37
simonandrews
Simon Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by maubp View Post
Also, is it worth thinking about an option for real names in forum profiles at this point?
You can do that now. Eco turned on the ability to edit your profile tag a few weeks ago.
simonandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #38
ulz_peter

I tried to create a first trimmed version of the letter. It now consists of 370 words. Someone stated a Science letter may have less than 400 words which would be ok then. To cut it down to 300 words is nearly impossible...
Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #39
ulz_peter

current status 337 words (thanks marcowanger)
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #40
andreas.sjodin

I just saw this statement in the Science "Guidelines and Directions for Web Submission of Letters to the Editor"

Quote:
Letters submitted, published, or posted elsewhere, in print or online, will be disqualified.
It will be interesting to see how they judge online community writing. However, it is a working document in progress and not really posted as a final document.

Tags
publication