No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP or error in miRNA read?

Hi,
    I need advise since I'm not aware of SNPs area...

I observe 2 reads matching a mature miRNA which are most abundant ones:
    1) first is perfect match with the mature with 200K counts
    2) secong have 1 mismatch but have double read counts (400K) - more abundant than the perfect match!

I think this cannot be error since it is sequenced 400K times with the same mistmach? or I'm wrong?

Can I conclude that this can be SNP in the the miRNA or no?

Thanks
    ------------
    SMART - bioinfo.uni-plovdiv.bg

There are several potential explanations for this type of resuts:

1)Post-transcriptional editing. This is a mechanism by which the actual microRNA sequence is edited after transcription. Initially it was thought to be very prevalent, but then later it was observed that often what is considered editing is actually a cross-mapping artifact.

2)Cross-mapping artifacts. Small RNAs such as micro-RNAs, Y RNAs and other small RNAs are often very similar to each other, with families of microRNAs sharing very similar sequence. Sometimes one base pair change is enough to switch from the sequence of a Y RNA to that of a micro-RNA.

These issues, as well as good additional references, are discussed in depth in this article:

An international, peer-reviewed genome sciences journal featuring outstanding original research that offers novel insights into the biology of all organisms

So before jumping to conclusions you have to make sure that your 600K reads, once filtired for high quality base calls and mapped to the whole genome, are truly located in the best possible mapping location.

best regards
    --------------------------------------
    Elia Stupka
    Co-Director and Head of Unit
    Center for Translational Genomics and Bioinformatics
    San Raffaele Scientific Institute
    Via Olgettina 58
    20132 Milano
    Italy
    ---------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks eslondon,
      I will look into that paper more deeply.
      ------------
      SMART - bioinfo.uni-plovdiv.bg

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses