No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library preparation and removing adapters

hello,
    i'm new user of illumina miseq technology and i'm finding some difficulties understanding some basics.
    if i select in the machine that i want to get fragments of 250 bp why do i still get fragments from 35 bp to 250 bp in my output? ( i don't know how the fragmentation step is done, if the transposon generate only the fragments of 250 bP or different sizes)
    and does the adapters used are automaticaly removed from the fragments in the output files?

could someone help me to understand

So a few things:

You get fragments ranging from 0 to 250bp because those fragments are present in the final library. If you run a bioanalyzer trace you should see all the fragments with some tailing off at 1kb. Generally this is seen in all sequencing-by-synthesis assays where random shearing is used and AmpureXP beads are used to remove most fragments <100bp.

By the way what kind of assay are you running?

Comment

thank you for you reply, i'm doing microbial DNA sequencing using nextera XT kit, but i'm still confused when we say 250 bp is that with adapters or only the fragments of the sample, and how can i know if i still have the adapters in my sequences?

Comment

Originally posted by meriem View Post
        thank you for you reply, i'm doing microbial DNA sequencing using nextera XT kit, but i'm still confused when we say 250 bp is that with adapters or only the fragments of the sample, and how can i know if i still have the adapters in my sequences?
        Machine will do number of sequencing cycles set on the run regardless of fragment size. Sequencer lacks any mechanism for estimation of fragment length. If you are running 2x250, only library inserts shorter than 250 bp will have adapter sequences in their 3' end.

You can find reads with adapters by searching for Nextera adapter sequences.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses