Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuffdiff output shows log2(fold change) as infinite

Hi, I've compared two conditions in cuffdiff (2 reps each). On examining the output, I see in the gene_exp.diff file that some of the XLOC features show 'NOTEST' under the status column, and '-inf' under the log2(fold change) column.

I've never seen this before, and it's worrying me as it produces weird plots in cummeRbund...

Any help would be great!

Best,

N

log(zero)=-inf

I think you have 0 as a mean value (between replicates) in first condition (eg Treatment) and a number as mean value (between replicates) in the second condition(eg Control), so:
    log2(FoldChange)=log2(meanTreatment/meanControl)=log2(0/number)=log2(0)=-inf

For "NOTEST", see the manual here in "Cuffdiff output" section.

Comment

So this isn't actually a bad thing, so to speak? If that's the case, I would have expected to see this sort of result quite frequently, where one condition has 0 reads mapping to a given gene and the other does have reads mapping.

I'm still worried/confused though, as when I run my results through cummerbund, and look for sigGenes, I find no genes with p<0.01, whereas looking through the gene_exp.diff I find many...

Do you know why this might be?

N

Comment

When you're looking at the gene_exp.diff are you checking the q-value column or the p-value column? I think cummerbund uses the q-value column, which is correct.

Also +/- inf fold changes are totally normal. I think cuffdiff used to report either a very large number or a very small number in the past instead of 'inf'. So if you're used to using this program in the past then maybe you were used to those results?
        /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
        Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses