Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions about minion

I want to obtain long read data for 6 bacterial isolates. I have purchased the minion starter kit with the ligation kit and native barcode kit. I am confused on why the protocol requires the Blunt/TA ligase master mix and the NEBNext Quick Ligation Module, it seems like its redundant. Could I just use the NEBNext Quick Ligation Module which does blunt and TA ligation for both barcoding and adding the adapter?

From what I understand is that I do the dA tailing on my DNA, ligate unique barcodes to each sample, pool the different barcodes together at a certain concentration and ligate the adapters.
    Last question, how necessary is the qubit? I only have a nanodrop and was curious if anyone has prepped a library using a nanodrop only.

So ONT contacted me with an answer to my question.
    The Blunt/TA ligase master mix was validated in-house for the ligation of the barcodes. However, feel free to just use T4 from the Quick Ligation Module. If you go this route, please see the following suggestion:

So, the total reaction would include:

End prep DNA 22.5 µl

Native Barcode Adapter 2.5 µl

NEBNext Quick T4 DNA Ligase 10 µl

NEBNext Quick Ligation Reaction Buffer (5X) 15 ul

Total 50 µl

I plan on skipping the FFPE repair step because I plan preping fresh gDNA from bacteria cultures. Has anybody tried this before?

Comment

Qubit or Quantus (or other similar fluorescence-based methods) are pretty much essential for nanopore sequencing. The nanodrop has issues with RNA contamination, and gives concentrations that can be a couple of orders of magnitude higher than the true DNA concentration.

You can make do with just a nanodrop, but you need to take a lot more care with making sure that the DNA is as pure as possible. I wouldn't recommend nanodrop-only when starting out with nanopore sequencing.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses