Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity assemblies do not contain isoforms?!

I recently assembled a number of transcriptomes using the Trinity pipeline. All proceeded smoothly until I began looking for isoforms. Most of the assemblies do not have any while a few have only a hand full (~5). All of the comp#s end in "_c0_seq1". My sequencing was not terribly deep; we multiplexed four individuals per lane of an illumina flow cell for RNAseq. Perhaps the sequencing was not deep enough to recover many isoforms?

I guess what I am asking is, how many isoforms should one expect from a Trinity assembly (e.g., 22,623 sequences in the Trinity.fasta output; average length of 610 nucleotides) sequenced in such a manner?

Thanks,
    Michael

Number of isoforms depends on your sample, for example bacteria would not have many whereas a human would have more. Also, is it paired end data or single end, paired end data has more information that can be used to identify isoforms than single end.

Comment

Jeremy,

The data were paired-end reads obtained from whole body extractions of arthropods (millipedes and spiders). Data concerning isoforms from these taxa are nearly non-existant as little work has been done in these organisms. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Comment

I guess either there just aren't many alternately spliced genes in millipedes and spiders or Trinity doesn't perform well with these organisms. As with all NGS data, try a few other assembly programs and see how they look.

Comment

Given that trinity is locked in a single k-mer could be another reason why you have few isoforms. You should be able get diverse rnatigs with lower k-mers. Like Jeremy mentioned, it depends also on your data (false k-mers introduced by sequencing errors). Trying out another assembler is good, and you should envisage how you will be able to filter novelty (genuine isoforms) vs noise (bogus isoforms).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses