No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat2 with fusion search and tophat-fusion-post problems

Updated:

You must not rename any files in the tophat output directories. My scripts do this automatically, renaming the output files with the sample names - this will cause tophat-fusion-post to fail.

Hi all,

First off thanks to the developers for what is an already excellent package. Tophat2 works great for me and I look forward to using it more.

On to my question - has anyone successfully used tophat-fusion-post with Tophat2 --bowtie1 using the fusion search options?

I am running Linux, using the pre-built Linux binaries.

Tophat2 with --bowtie1 completes fine, I have a large fusions.out file. For my current datasets I have between 350k and 1M candidates - filtering is absolutely necessary, and I've not seen that simply screening for high coverage numbers will help (repeats, narrow coverage windows, etc - all the reasons they list in the paper for having the further filtering steps).

I've made the structure as indicated on the Tophat/Fusion webpage, with tophat_* directories with all the typical output files in the directory, the ensGene, refGene and mcl files.

I have two copies of tophat-fusion-post, one from the original Tophat-Fusion, and one from Tophat2. They are not identical. Both behave similarly.

My Tophat2 directory does not have the annotations (ensGene.txt etc.) but my Tophat-Fusion directory does - I have used those, though tophat-fusion-post from Tophat-Fusion wants refGene_sorted.txt, whereas the Tophat2 version does not.

For testing purposes, I have used skip-blast. tophatfusion_out/ is created but fusion_seq.fa is empty. bowtie does try to align, but nothing happens. Everything completes with no errors, just 0 fusions found.

As a test, I also ran this in a completely empty directory, and it does not complain. This is worrisome, since the program should complain it has no files to work with! Based on this, I think it might not be properly reading the fusions.out file to begin with, even though it's in the directory in the structure on their webpage.

Tophat-fusion is in my path, and bowtie, bowtie2 (not that i'm using it), tophat and tophat2 all call the proper programs. All the bam files have "chr" as a prefix, as do the ensGene and refGen files.

Hopefully someone has used Tophat2 with --bowtie1 and then used tophat-fusion-post on the resultant fusions.out and can provide some advice.

Thank you all for your time,

-sf
    Last edited by seqfast; 06-16-2012, 08:47 AM. Reason: Partially solved

Ya i tried Tophat2 with --bowtie1 and then used tophat-fusion-post on the resultant fusions.out but got same result as told by you ( 0 filtered fusions, with no errors). Dont know how to deal with it.

Anybody please come up with an answer.

Comment

Bharati
      try reading my message in the post " tophat-fusion-post result empty" for the detailed information. I solved the problem..

Comment

Hello:

Could you please help me with a basic question.

The documentation on this page:

says nothing about where to find the fusion score.
        I suspect it's the value 0.569598 in the file fusions.out.
        If I am wrong, where do I find the score?

Regards,
        Nik

Comment

please open html file or fusion output file with excel then you can find it.
          do reply if I have misunderstood your question...

Comment

DeFuse vs Tophat-fusion RNA-seq

does anybody compared RNA-seq fusions using Tophat2 vs DeFuse?
            My results from Tophat2 Fusions doesnt match with DeFuse...entirely different ..???
            Which one is to choose for validation ?
            How do we select for Fusion Gene Validation using wet lab. ?

Comment

deFuse and TopHat-Fusion are used together here:

Transcriptome Profiling of the Cancer, Adjacent Non-
              Tumor and Distant Normal Tissues from a Colorectal
              Cancer Patient by Deep Sequencing
              Yan’an Wu1*, Xuetao Wang1, Fangbo Wu1, Ruolei Huang2, Fangqin Xue2, Guantao Liang1, Min Tao1,
              Pengwei Cai1, Yi Huang1

They also got very different results, which didn't prevent them from publishing.

Comment

Thank you NikTuzov
                you really gave a great support providing yan'an et al. reference...
                However, can somebody tell me a good reference book or guide to learn Fusion details like which one is to select for validation from fusion results... some deep understanding...

Thank you in advance...

Comment

Are you saying that the score is not available unless I run tophat-fusion-post option? I hoped to find it in fusions.out produced by --fusion-search option.

Comment

Hi
                    The the scores are available there but fusion-post filters the total fusions.
                    I have a question about tophat insert size commands, say insertsize 100~380(main 150); how can we modify in tophat commands ?
                    thank you

]
                    Originally posted by NikTuzov View Post
                    Are you saying that the score is not available unless I run tophat-fusion-post option? I hoped to find it in fusions.out produced by --fusion-search option.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses