Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installation of Covaris shearing instrument

We are considering getting a Covaris instrument to shear DNA for library preparation. I've found a few used S2 units around for considerably less than a new one (<$20,000). Before looking seriously at a used one, however, I want to be sure we're not making a mistake by doing so. Can those of you who have one give me some advice on it? Here are the questions I've thought of so far:

Is there a big difference between the older S2 and the newer instruments? Would we be missing out on any significant functionality by getting an S2?

Is this something we could install ourselves? Since we wouldn't be getting a new one, we would have to set it up ourselves. From what I've seen in pictures that doesn't look like any big deal, but I want to be sure of this.

Some of the used ones don't specify whether they include a computer. Will it work with any PC, or is there something special about the computer it comes with?

Are they reliable enough that I don't need to worry about getting a machine a few years old?

Any other issues anyone can think of that might make us think twice about getting a used one?

Dear Dr. Thomas,
    I am glad to have spoke with you again.
    I hope I answered all your questions.
    Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses