Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly

HI Im new in NGS and I have a maybe silly question, I sequenced two isolates of my bacteria of interest and the genome of the reference strain is complete and available. I wonder if it is best to assemble against the reference genome or make a de novo assembly so I don't lose information that maybe is not present in the reference.

Hope someone can help me to take the right option.

If there is a reference genome available, then you can do a reference guided assembly in the first instance.

Bacterial genomes are not very large, so shouldn't require too much in the way of computational resources, so you can try both methods and compare the results.

Comment

I would encourage you to do a completely de novo assembly. As mastal said, you can easily do this both ways and compare results. But, a purely de novo assembly has less risk of mistakes due to differences from the reference. You can obviously gain more continuity with a reference-guided approach, but you will incur misassemblies, so I don't think it's a good idea.

Comment

What platform did you do the bacterial sequencing on? Why do you need to assemble at all (rather than just looking for variants that differ from the reference)?

If a full-length assembly is absolutely required, do you have another $2000 USD to resequence those isolates (and another 10 more) on a rapid barcoded run of a MinION?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses