No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help settle a methodology discussion.

Hi all,

My boss and I are having a debate on a protocol that I need a little clarity on, and hopefully someone can give the best answer.

The problem: we are interested in using RNA-seq data and looking at strand specific expression data. But, all of the sequence data that we have is from paired-end RNA sequence.

My boss thinks that this isn't a problem and we can do one of two things. either a) only use the forward sequence reads and look at the data from that, or b) simply take the reverse reads, and use the reverse-compliment of them and treat them as forward reads.

My answer is that he is wrong in both cases. By doing paired-end sequencing, you inherently loose the strand information and cannot do any strand specific information. Simply reversing the two reads will not work, and you do not know which strand the forward (or reverse read came from). It is not always the case that the forward read is the plus strand and the reverse read is the minus strand, and these can be swapped. Essentially, we do not know where (strand and orientation) that the read came from.

Can someone help confirm that I am correct .

You're both wrong actually. Whether strand information is conveyed is determined by the nature of the library prep, not whether you sequence single-end or paired-end. You can certainly do strand-specific paired-end sequencing, that's not even all that uncommon. So, the question is purely whether you have a strand-specific dataset. If so, then just determine which of the reads is conferring the strand information (normally read #2 does, since dUTP methods are the most popular) and proceed accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      You're both wrong actually. Whether strand information is conveyed is determined by the nature of the library prep, not whether you sequence single-end or paired-end. You can certainly do strand-specific paired-end sequencing, that's not even all that uncommon. So, the question is purely whether you have a strand-specific dataset. If so, then just determine which of the reads is conferring the strand information (normally read #2 does, since dUTP methods are the most popular) and proceed accordingly.
      As a side comment... Paired end sequencing is such a source of confusion. Sometimes I wish it was never invented!

Comment

Originally posted by dariober View Post
        As a side comment... Paired end sequencing is such a source of confusion. Sometimes I wish it was never invented!
        Do you also wish you didn't have a nose every time you catch a cold?

--
        Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          Completely agree.

In addition I don't think informaticians should trust that data sets are of a particular strandedness. They should test data sets to determine that. Just align 1000 reads to the large rRNA subunit sequence for the species in question. If you have paired reads this will also answer the question "what insert size was sequenced".

--
          Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
            Do you also wish you didn't have a nose every time you catch a cold?
            In case it wasn't obvious... My comment was ironic. I just wanted to point out that PE can make things confusing. (And if I really hated PE I would just use only the 1st-in-pair reads).

Comment

Originally posted by dariober View Post
              In case it wasn't obvious... My comment was ironic. I just wanted to point out that PE can make things confusing. (And if I really hated PE I would just use only the 1st-in-pair reads).
              Hey, I'm not here to judge...

--
              Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                Hey, I'm not here to judge...

--
                Phillip
                Sure, no worries!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses