Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie vs bowtie2 for RSEM analysis trinity assembled transcripts

I have a Trinity assembly from a time course experiment in a non-model plant. The assembly seems excellent, and I am getting ready to use RSEM to look for deferentially expressed genes. Bowtie2 gives me a lot more alignments ~75% of my reads aligning) than Bowtie (about 26%), but of those that align with Bowtie, nearly 100% (about 3.5 million reads) correctly map with their paired ends (relative to only about 16% or 2.1 million for the Bowtie2 mapping).

I am worried that the Bowtie2 alignment may be giving me too many false positive hits because they are mapping to assembled transcripts that did not come from the given sample.

Is bowtie or bowtie2 recommended for alignment for RSEM expression analysis?

Dave

I believe that bowtie is recommended. At least the Trinity pipeline still uses it. If you want to use Bowtie2 then using the parameters:

--no-discordant --no-mixed -X 1200
    Should keep bowtie2 from mapping reads to different Trinity transcripts.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses