No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haploidify in ALLPATHS-LG

Hi,
    Could someone please explain to me what the HAPLOIDIFY function does in ALLPATHS-LG? I have done two assemblies with ALLPATHS-LG - one with HAPLOIDIFY on and one with it off. The resulting assemblies are quite different - for example, when I use HAPLOIDIFY the N50 of contigs goes to 17kb as opposed to 5.4kb with it off.

Thanks very much

Will

The HAPLOIDIFY option is typically used when dealing with diploid data sets. It "hapoidifies" the differences in the diploid data set which makes it easier to assemble, then puts all the snp info in the resulting consensus back in the resulting efasta/fastg.

Haploidify is 'experimental' and is only really helpful if your genome is particularly polymorphic. Typically we found it useful if the computed polymorphism rate was 1 in 400 or higher. You are unlikely to find significant improvements for lower polymorphism rates and it could potentially even harm the assembly.
    Taken from the user forum.

Comment

Hi lorendarith,
      Thanks for the quick reply. I am working on a diploid genome and have a polymorphism rate of 1/118, so HAPLOIDIFY looks like a good option. Could you explain a little further what the option actually does please? What do you mean when you say it "'haploidifies' the differences"?
      Thanks

Will

Comment

Sorry, but I can't help you more than that, little is known what the option really does or how it actually works.

If you have a quite polymorphic genome and use the HAPLOIDIFY option, it will probably collapse certain polymorphic regions instead of outputting them as separate contigs/scaffolds. It should therefore decrease the number of sequences and an increase in N50 can be observed. At least that is what others think and have seen.

I'm also working on a diploid genome, but my SNP rate is 1/862 and I can't say I've seen any major improvements when I used the HAPLOIDIFY option, just by looking at the metrics.

Try running an assembly with, without it and then compare. You should also then assemble less than the predicted genome size (K=25), when the option is employed.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses