No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq(2): multi-conditions assay

Dear SEQanswer community

I face the following question and wonder how to approach it with DESeq or DESeq2:

I have four conditions (each with replica) A, B, C, D whereas A and B be are the controls and C and D where treated with similar but different agents. Now I'd like to identify the genes which are more pronounced differential regulated due to D than due to C.

How can I approach this? Is it advised to do it ...
    • ... pairwise and consider only genes which are significant in B vs. D but not in A vs. C (which ommits genes which are induced by both agents but with different strength)
    • ... with condition<-c(untreated, untreated, untreated, treated) and no Type and no GLM
    • ... with condition<-c(untreated, untreated, treated, treated) and Type<-('S1','S2','S1','S2') with GLM modelling count ~ Type + condition

As you might figured from the question I do not fully get what the GLM does.

Any help is highly appreciated
    thank you very much in advance

fabou

Why do you have two sets of controls, what is the difference between A and B?

Comment

hi Fabou,

To get at the right approach, i would also need to know what's the difference between A and B.

But if A and B are identical controls, you can compare the log2 fold change from treatment2 over treatment1 using a contrast.

If you define a condition variable with levels "control","treatment1","treatment2", and a design:

design(dds) <- ~ condition

Then you can test for genes with differential expression comparing treatment 2 vs treatment 1 using:

res2vs1 <- results(dds, contrast=c("condition","treatment2","treatment1"))

You could also combine multiple results, for example genes with low adjusted p-value from this comparison, as well as from a contrast of treatment 2 vs control, in order to define set of genes which are differentially expressed in treatment2 vs control, and vs treatment1

res2vsC <- results(dds, contrast=c("condition","treatment2","control"))

res2vs1$both <- (res2vs1$padj < 0.1 & res2vsC$padj < 0.1)

Comment

Thank you Michael, I will explore the strategy you outlined.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses