SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CEGMA : Genewise Error JdeBruin Bioinformatics 2 05-01-2014 03:10 AM
Can edgeR CPM be used like FPKM to represent a gene expression level in a figure? wmseq Bioinformatics 1 02-21-2014 11:41 AM
many biological replicates - 'traditional' statistics vs Cuffdiff or DESeq/edgeR? sjm RNA Sequencing 0 03-31-2012 08:42 AM
Bioinformatics Snippets for everyone And Authors wanted RadAniba Bioinformatics 5 08-29-2011 07:25 PM
Genewise program output file discussion edge Bioinformatics 0 04-08-2010 05:27 PM

Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
gabe_rosser

Default How did the edgeR authors compute Figure 2 (genewise deviance statistics?)

**UPDATE**
I've migrated (aka copied) this question over to the biostars forum: https://www.biostars.org/p/244455/. Please look there for further discussion.

McCarthy, D.J., Chen, Y., and Smyth, G.K. (2012). Differential expression analysis of multifactor RNA-Seq experiments with respect to biological variation. Nucleic Acids Res 40, 4288–4297.

https://academic.oup.com/nar/article/40/10/4288/2411520/Differential-expression-analysis-of-multifactor

In Figure 2 of this paper, the authors show that estimating dispersion on a per-gene basis is more compatible with their data. Am I allowed to attach it here as an image? If so, I gladly will do!

I think understand broadly what is being demonstrated here (please correct me if I'm mistaken): When we estimate dispersions, that is an implicit model of the ratio of the mean to the standard deviation of each gene. Here, the authors are showing, with QQ plots, that the per-gene model describes the observed ratio better than a common dispersion value. Each dot in the plot corresponds to a gene.

I'd like to generate this figure for my own data, but I don't understand how to compute the two vectors required. I'm guessing that one might be the log likelihood after fitting the GLM?

Thanks for any light you can shed (code also gratefully appreciated, but no obligation)

Last edited by gabe_rosser; 03-29-2017 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Add details of post on another forum
gabe_rosser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential expression, edger, likelihood ratio test