No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intersect file bam-bed and count read

Hi all!
    I have RNA-seq data and I used STAR in order to align the reads.
    I would like to use my bed file in order to have the only read that are mapped in the position reported in bed file and after I would like to know how many read are mapped in each interval.
    For the first part I tried to use "bedtools intersect":
    bedtools intersect -abam -a file.bam -b file.bed
    I saw that the number of the read reported in the output file were less than the input file but It doesn't seem right. In fact, for example, in my bed file for chromosome the first interval begins with the position 335 and in my new output file there are reads mapped in position 80.

Thank you in advance and I am sorry for my probably bad English!
    Best

The option you should look at is coverageBed.

As for the other observation if you are providing a set of BED intervals then only reads that fall in those intervals will be reported (so that number can be expected to be less than the input). It is possible that the read in question is mapped beginning at position 80 but depending on how long it is it must be extending into the first interval.

Comment

Since you did the mapping with STAR, it is possible a read will be really long once mapped to the genome if it is at an exon-exon junction... You can use the parameter -split in your bedtools command to report only the region your read is really mapping...

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        The option you should look at is coverageBed.

As for the other observation if you are providing a set of BED intervals then only reads that fall in those intervals will be reported (so that number can be expected to be less than the input). It is possible that the read in question is mapped beginning at position 80 but depending on how long it is it must be extending into the first interval.
        Thank you for your reply. The read is about 20 nucleotides, so beedtools should discard this read...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses