SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PCR purifirication prior to amplicon sequencing - individual PCRs vs. pooled PCRs? dejsha Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 05-31-2013 03:27 PM
two step PCR-GS Junior CCBIO 454 Pyrosequencing 0 02-21-2013 09:06 AM
TruSeq Custom Amplicon - Extension-Ligation Step brachysclereid Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 12-18-2012 02:16 PM
PCR Jumping (Template Switching) in Amplicon sequencing eladSeq 454 Pyrosequencing 2 04-02-2012 08:10 AM
Is the PCR purification step between ligation and size selection necessary? skblazer Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 10-28-2011 04:44 AM

Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
ashah

Default Two-Step PCR for amplicon sequencing issue

Has anyone come up with a PCR mix for the final PCR that adds the Nextera indices and P7/P5 to the product?We bought the 96indices Nextera kit and are able to use them with variable efficiency for indexing our PCR product.

We are doing a two step PCR to sequence amplicons on the miseq. So first, we amplify with:
5 TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG-[Forward locus specific sequence]
and
5 GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG-[Reverse locus specific sequence]

Then, after cleanup, we tried using NEB Phusion HF along with the Nextera Index primers to add the indices, but are having variable efficiency/extra bands.

We originally had some leftover PCR mix (and PPC) from a Nextera Enzyme kit, but that ran out. Anybody already optimize the PCR conditions for a different taq? Also, what is PPC (Primer Cocktail)?

Any hints would be appreciated,
--AS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Two_Step_PCR_Amplicon_Approach_1.pdf (296.0 KB, 260 views)
ashah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
ZWB

We pretty much use the exact same protocol as you. We found that the best enzyme mix to use is FailSafe with Buffer E (EpiCentre). I've heard rumors that the buffer in the Nextera PCR mix is in fact FailSafe Buffer E anyway. For whatever reason Phusion doesn't work in our hands either.

Zach
ZWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
microgirl123

I've been using the Phusion HF. I haven't done it enough yet to determine how variable it is. One problem I run into (we're a core facility and only perform the second step of PCR) is people submitting DNA from the first step quantified only on the Nanodrop. This means that I'm not always adding 50 ng of DNA to the second PCR.

I always see a second, slightly smaller, peak on the BioAnalyzer. I've been attributing this to some amplicons only having one full adapter added - it's only 5 cycles of PCR so it stands to reason that some of the amplicons only got one adapter added.
microgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Neiltje

I am also trying this protocol but I'm running into problems.
My DNA is bisulfite treated (all non-methylated C's are converted to U) so I'm using an enzyme from KAPA that is especially designed for this type of DNA. My PCR works just fine when I'm using primers without the 5' overhang adaptor sequence. But when I use primers that do, all I get is primer dimers and no good PCR product. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I tried it on genomic DNA and on PCR DNA but neither works
Neiltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Please see this thread: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43376
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ampliconseq, illumina, miseq, two step pcr