SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Literature Watch

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Species abundance and rarefaction in metagenomics data OliverDeusch Metagenomics 1 12-13-2012 09:17 AM
novel species discovery metagenomics chris_bioinfo Bioinformatics 5 09-27-2012 10:19 AM
Where can I find FASTQ files along with reference genomes for various species? gvivek Bioinformatics 1 09-09-2011 04:30 AM
Can Illumina reads be mapped to a different species ? emorin Bioinformatics 4 01-26-2011 07:21 AM

Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
mkoohim

Default Metagenomics with Illumina, all species genomes coverd by reads or not?

Hi All,

I am new in Metagenomics and want to ask a basic questions!

suppose we have a microbial community and use Illumina for WGS. We don't know any things about our community and don't know which species are there (Actually it is a de novo sequencing). I want to know is there any possibility that there are some parts of our unknown bacteria genome that is not covered by reads produced by Illumina? Or for sure all part of species genomes will be covered by reads?

P.S: I read some articles about the library preparation in Illumina WGS. I were wondering if there is any relation between this issue and library preparation?

Thank you,
mkoohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

In a complex community, there will be a large variation in species abundance. Thus, you won't get good coverage of very rare organisms, and they won't assemble. There's also a gc-bias (low- and high-gc organisms may be underrepresented) but that won't matter nearly as much.

There are also differences in efficiency of lysing and DNA extraction for different organisms, so I'm sure that preparation plays some kind of role, but I don't know the details. This is quite important for single-cell work. I think abundance is probably much more important in metagenomes though.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
mkoohim

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your answer and share your experience. Your answer is very comprehensive.

Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
In a complex community, there will be a large variation in species abundance. Thus, you won't get good coverage of very rare organisms, and they won't assemble. There's also a gc-bias (low- and high-gc organisms may be underrepresented) but that won't matter nearly as much.

There are also differences in efficiency of lysing and DNA extraction for different organisms, so I'm sure that preparation plays some kind of role, but I don't know the details. This is quite important for single-cell work. I think abundance is probably much more important in metagenomes though.
mkoohim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illumina, metagenomic, metagenomics, sequencing