Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAPsnp output

I was in the process of filtering the output file from soapsnp when I noticed something unusual about the sequencing depth. SOAPsnp tells me the seq depth of the best and second best base, as well as the overall seq depth at that site. I would expect that the addition of the number of best and second best bases at a particular site would add up to something close to (or exactly) the total sequencing depth. However, I'm seeing a few unusual cases like this:

chr03 82650 T W 0 A 35 127 127 T 35 124 124 1693 0 0.00000 1.00000 0
    As you can see the total seq depth is 1693, but the addition of the number of best bases (A = 127) and second best bases (T = 124) is 251. If this were the case there would have to be 1442 C's or G's, which would make them more represented than the A's or T's and therefore they should be the best and second best bases.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Has anyone seen this before?

I appreciate the help.

FYI: SOAPsnp output format:
    1) Chromosome ID
    2) Coordinate on chromosome, start from 1
    3) Reference genotype
    4) Consensus genotype
    5) Quality score of consensus genotype
    6) Best base
    7) Average quality score of best base
    8) Count of uniquely mapped best base
    9) Count of all mapped best base
    10) Second best bases
    11) Average quality score of second best base
    12) Count of uniquely mapped second best base
    13) Count of all mapped second best base
    14) Sequencing depth of the site
    15) Rank sum test p_value
    16) Average copy number of nearby region
    17) Whether the site is a dbSNP.

I was in the similar situation and found that my quality score offset is different from the default in soapsnp.
    If you are using the sanger scheme for the quality score, you should put the option "-z !" when you run the soapsnp.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Today, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses