No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Sealer Needed!

Hello everybody!
    Our 96-well plate heat sealer died in a fit of smoke and flame this morning. Replacement sealers are in the thousands of dollars!! All we want is something like this -https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/AB-0384220?ICID=search-product

which isn't made anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Anthony

If you know somebody comptenet in electrics and electronics -tell them to have a look

Unfortunately it is one more example of the device which is quite overpriced (~10 times) for what it is.

If you know somebody who can check/repair safely electrical equipment - tell them to have a look.

It was either a heater element or a thermostat and a heater element or a PSU (mosfet(s) or rectifier bridge).

In any case pictures of the failed device/parts can be helpful.

PS: I've heard for some people used a device based on the frame of a toaster heater element rewound for 24Volt operation with thick heater wire running from 500W 24V PSU...

Another option can be re using a heating element from flat bottom 24V camping cattle...

Comment

Looks like you can pick one up from one of the used scientific equipment sites. For example here:

Get a quote for a Used Combi Abgene Thermo Scientific ALPS 25 Miscellaneous Test Equipment from Spectroscopic Diagnostics, Inc. at used-line.com today.

Comment

A very inexpensive alternative is an iron (the type used to press clothing). High heat, no steam. Use a heat-resistant plate rack, and test a few plates to optimize the time needed for a good seal.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
          A very inexpensive alternative is an iron (the type used to press clothing). High heat, no steam. Use a heat-resistant plate rack, and test a few plates to optimize the time needed for a good seal.
          Ingenious!

Comment

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions! I agree, these things are waaay overpriced. I ended up ordering a refurbished one from LabX. We've been having some other issues with our sequencing and I didn't want to wait on a fix. At least this way I'll have some spare parts.

In the meantime, we'll be using the plate septas for our 3730. Does anybody reuse these on sequencing and fragment analysis plates? We used to wash and reuse the septas for a different application, but I'm curious if anyone has been successful at reusing the septas for sequencing. At ~$20 a piece, they add up real quick.

Thanks again!!

Comment

As far as I know, the plate septas for our 3730 have been in the lab for 10 years+. All we do is soak, wash, rinse and they still work fine. Just FYI, we use our 3730 heavily so I think it's safe to say reusing them are fine.

Comment

Reusing septas is fine for a couple of years, (untill rubber starts to degrade).

Reusing septas is fine for a couple of years,

But watch out for rubber degradation/crumbling if left for a couple of years.

And make sure to wash them regularly.

You can check them against the light, to see if the are no longer sealing the holes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses