No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fragmentation of RNA or cDNA

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently making some RNA-seq libraries from ribominus RNA (~500ng purified RNA per sample). I'm trying to work out what are the advantages/disadvantages of RNA versus cDNA fragmentation for a low starting sample.
    Thanks!
    Melanie

Hi Melanie
    I have the same doubt... Did you sort it out?
    Cheers, Kalu

Comment

Hi Kalu,
      From what I understand if you fragment the cDNA you get biases towards the 3' end of the transcript. If you fragment the RNA then you have a more equal distribution of reads from across the whole transcript with a relative depletion at both 3' and 5' ends. So it really depends what you are after.
      Have a look at Wang et al. 2009 Nat Rev Genet 2009 vol. 10 (1) pp. 57-63 RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics

Comment

Hi Melanie
        I synthesized full-lenght cDNA and amplified it using the SMART technology (SMARTer™ PCR cDNA Synthesis kit, Clontech). Do you think I would still be introducing a bias?
        Many thanks.

Comment

I'm sorry I wouldn't really know. I ended up going with RNA fragmentation in the end.

Comment

Yes, the SMART system gives the among the worst results according to the Broad paper

http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/...meth.1491.html

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses