No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq and PET-seq

Hello everyone.

The question may have been answered already : I am looking for a list of packages I could use for Illumina paired - end sequencing analysis or/and for mRNA sequencing analysis.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks,

thanks very much,

bogdan

We've been using the CLC bio genomics workbench software package. Downside is you have to pay for it. Upside - its very, very comprehensive and should cover all of your needs.

Comment

free software

Thanks Colin. I would prefer to use some free software though, if it is available. Thanks !

Comment

Most software that can handle illumina reads can support PE reads. I'll let other more experienced members to give you the list. Don't worry. There's a long list of freeware. It depends on what kind of mRNA-seq analysis (de novo assembly, gene expression, microRNA etc?).

I haven't heard about any that is good with RNA-seq de novo assembly. Any idea?

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

we are doing mRNA-seq. There are some packages as ERANGE and RSAT :
          did these work very well? thanks,

bogdan

Comment

You might try my TopHat tool (http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu), which now supports both paired ends and longer read lengths. It's still in "beta", but you might find it helpful. It will align RNA-Seq reads across splice junctions without needing a reference annotation (but if you have one, you can use it).

Comment

TopHat

Hi Cole,

yes, I did install the package you did make. it works great on the test data, and will apply to our data soon. A question though : are there any options/parameters I shall use in order to
              output the quantitative expression instead of the splice junctions ? thanks a lot,

bogdan

Comment

You'll need a GFF file for the RPKM calculation, but as far as parameters go, the defaults should be fine if you are working with a mammalian genome. If you're not, I'd recommend dropping down the maximum ab initio intron length (the -I param) to a few Kb for your first run, just to get a conservative idea of how TopHat performs.

If you don't want TopHat to look for junctions ab initio at all, you can use --no-novel-juncs to put TopHat in a "validate only" mode, where it will just try to align your RNA-Seq reads across the junctions in your GFF file (or your raw junctions file if you use the -j option).

Comment

Thanks, Cole. Will proceed accordingly. If I have any other questions, perhaps I can contact you directly ? And congrats for the work ! The packages and the algorithms are designed in a very professional way !

Comment

Yes, please feel free to contact me directly (cole AT cs DOT umd DOT edu). Good luck!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses