No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplicon sequencing: Where do short reads come from

Hi,

have worked with a lot of shot gun metagenomic data but have recently looked into a couple of 16S/18S amplicon sequencing projects. One thing that immediately caught my eye was that if I order shot gun metagenome Illumina reads 2x250 then I only get reads of 250bp length. However, the amplicon sequencing results I've seen included read from 35-250bp (pre-QC). And even after joining the reads there are still joined fragments of e.g. 60-400bp length.

This raises two (main) questions for me:
    1. How is it possible that I get reads that are less than 250bp in a 2x250bp run? Are those PCR artifacts or does the sequencing cycle stop for some cells?
    2. How can I get joined fragments that are shorter than 250bp (which I would assume is the minimum possible length for 250bp paired end reads and even then they'd have to overlap 100%)? The only explanation I'd have would be chimeras ...

Any suggestions?

1- Sequencing centre must be trimming adapters or low quality bases. once a cluster passes filtre the instrument will collect data for all 2x 250 cycles.

2- You can get shorter joined fragments if your insert is short provided that adapters has been trimmed.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses