Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq photobleaching

I've noticed that even when accounting for kit expiration date, cluster density, %PF, phasing, and prephasing, some of our runs have excellent Q-scores all the way until the end of the read (occasionally 95%+ of all bases are >Q30) and some runs just barely pass spec (75% of all bases >Q30). I'm specifically looking at V2 chemistry 2x250 kits.

I've also noticed that the signal/noise ratio seems to be extremely highly predictive of Q-scores, so I'm wondering if the less than stellar runs were the result of photobleaching of the incorporation mix (presumably the one containing fluorescently tagged nucleotides given the purple color)

During training, we were told to thaw the reagent cartridge in cold water, but nothing was mentioned regarding a light or dark environment, so we've just been keeping the cartridge in a water bath that was not protected from light. We typically thaw our cartridges for 'about' an hour, so there's no strict standard that's followed. Now I'm finding literature suggesting that NextSeq cartridges are thawed in the dark. Does anyone have any experience regarding Q-scores obtained when thawing MiSeq cartridges in the dark or would this be an unnecessary precaution?

Originally posted by esherman View Post
    I've noticed that even when accounting for kit expiration date, cluster density, %PF, phasing, and prephasing, some of our runs have excellent Q-scores all the way until the end of the read (occasionally 95%+ of all bases are >Q30) and some runs just barely pass spec (75% of all bases >Q30). I'm specifically looking at V2 chemistry 2x250 kits.

I've also noticed that the signal/noise ratio seems to be extremely highly predictive of Q-scores,
    This is probably because Q-scores calculationsuse signal/noise as parameters.
    so I'm wondering if the less than stellar runs were the result of photobleaching of the incorporation mix (presumably the one containing fluorescently tagged nucleotides given the purple color)
    I'm not sure what the purple color comes from, but the dyes-labels for the terminators is probably the same as those used for the HiSeq, where the mix is a pink color.
    If Illumina thought photo bleaching was an issue I'm guessing they would have recommended thawing the reagents in the dark.
    During training, we were told to thaw the reagent cartridge in cold water, but nothing was mentioned regarding a light or dark environment, so we've just been keeping the cartridge in a water bath that was not protected from light. We typically thaw our cartridges for 'about' an hour, so there's no strict standard that's followed. Now I'm finding literature suggesting that NextSeq cartridges are thawed in the dark. Does anyone have any experience regarding Q-scores obtained when thawing MiSeq cartridges in the dark or would this be an unnecessary precaution?
    The NextSeq uses different fluors, so Illumina has a different thawing protocol.

By the way, you should send this question to Illumina. I'm sure they are asked it all the time. Their tech support is excellent.

--
    Phillip

Comment

I'm not sure what the purple color comes from
      As an aside... I found it interesting that the V2 and V3 miseq reagents are different colours.

Comment

I asked this question "Life Tech does not like Ampliseq on the Miseq" because the previous person commented that. So, do you think it is not an issue? Can we actually use Ampliseq for target enrichment and run it on MiSeq?
        Also, when you say life tech has their own sequencer- Are you talking about the Ion torrent sequencer?
        We offer up to date Testking microsoft office free training exam practice questions with self paced test engine to help you pass Testking how many ccie in the world exam and complete your ccent course millercollege.edu you should also find. McDaniel College
        Last edited by xrobertdevine; 03-21-2015, 04:20 AM.
        Get free demos for Testking training microsoft office exam and mcts exam with Testking ccie perfect solutions guaranteed success. Our msu.edu best quality prepares you well before appearing in the final exams. Maryland Institute College of Art

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses