No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioo Scientific kits

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Bioo Scientific's DNA sequencing kits?
    How do they compare with Illumina's TruSeq DNA Sample prep kits? Do the final results look the same or better using one kit or the other?
    Also, does anyone know the difference between Bioo Scientific's AIR DNA kits as opposed to their NEXTflex kits? I can't seem to find any differences between them on their website.

Thanks!

We are very happy with their Nextflex DNA Seq kits and barcodes and have incorporated them into our workflow. We have seen significantly better adapter ligation with Nextflex compared to Truseq. Haven't used AIR, so I can't comment.

I heard from a UC sequencing core that they've released 96 barcodes. Can anyone confirm????

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad someone has had a good experience with them since they are so much cheaper than Illumina kits.

And yes, I've seen on their website that they have 96 barcodes.

Does anyone else have any insight on the difference between their AIR kits vs their NEXTflex kits?

Comment

NEXTflex barcodes are 6nt, the 96 kit uses 8 bp barcodes. AIR I think is similar to Illuminas 3-primer system? We are happy with the NEXTflex adaptors. They also have a PCR-free system i you are working with more DNA, not sure how it works though.

Comment

Update:
          I contacted Bioo Scientific and they were very helpful in explaining the difference between the kits. In case anyone else wants to know, here is what they said.

"The primary difference between the AIR and NEXTflex kits is how the barcode is incorporated. In the AIR kits, the barcode is added during PCR as a third barcoded primer. In the NEXTflex kits, it is added right at the adapter ligation step. This allows you to reduce the amount of PCR cycles required."

I'd still like to hear anyone elses opinions about how Bioo Scientific kits compare to Illumina, but it seems that so far Bioo Scientific kits are a great cheaper alternative.

Comment

We have found that the NEXTflex kits produce libraries more reliably, especially in the presence of PCR inhibitors. Particularly the ligase and polymerase both seem to be superior to those in TruSeq. So far we have only been using the 48-barcode kit but the 96 has just been released:

Comment

We are achieving much better read and quality scores with Nextflex compared to Truseq. In my experience the libraries are more consistent as well.

We use the Nextflex barcodes for genomic and mRNA work. Looking forward to using their 96 set.

Comment

The specs for the AIR kits say they can be used with as little as 50 ng input material. Has anyone tried these kits using less than that? Any successes or failures? We have samples with only ~10 ng input and are considering Nextera, but AIR is significantly cheaper plus has more barcodes built in.

Comment

Ok, it looks like the 96 barcodes are confirmed. We're going to get a set today.

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...highlight=bioo

Has anyone used Nextflex with sequence capture ?

Comment

We are using the Nextflex protocol and barcodes with nimblegen capture.
                    I think they should be comptible with other capture methods as well, we just decided on the nimblegen route.

Originally posted by msheldon View Post
                    Ok, it looks like the 96 barcodes are confirmed. We're going to get a set today.

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...highlight=bioo

Has anyone used Nextflex with sequence capture ?

Comment

I had horrible experience with the Nextflex kits, but using the same starting material with the TruSeq kits, I got excellent results. I am not sure if this is just me...

Bioo Scientific staff was helpful in helping troubleshoot, though their refund policy is a bit overly stringent.

Comment

We use about 2-3 Nextflex DNA kits per month and 1 Nextflex Small RNA kit per month for our library preps and send off the sequencing to a core facility in the US. I couldn't be happier with our results. We too notice much better read quality and a greater number of unique reads in our results. I agree they do have excellent technical support.

Just found out that they have modules for each step. We plan on ordering these too.

Originally posted by Turnerac0987 View Post
                        Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Bioo Scientific's DNA sequencing kits?
                        How do they compare with Illumina's TruSeq DNA Sample prep kits? Do the final results look the same or better using one kit or the other?
                        Also, does anyone know the difference between Bioo Scientific's AIR DNA kits as opposed to their NEXTflex kits? I can't seem to find any differences between them on their website.

Thanks!

Comment

Strand-specific RNA sequencing using NEXTflex barcoded adapters

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used NEXTflex DNA barcodes to generate strand-specific RNA-Seq libraries for sqeuencing on an Illumina GAII or Hi-Seq?

Best wishes,

David

Comment

yes, we are using the nextflex barcodes for strand specific RNA-Seq (uracil method). We are also using their directional RNA-Seq kit which has included directional adapters that can read in the 5'-3' or 3'-5' direction.

Comment

In case anybody is interested in automation of Bioo kits, an article has recently been published outlining some QC results using these regents with the VERSA Mini NGLP workstation.

Disclosure: I am employed by Aurora Biomed.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses