Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High multiple mapping rate Drosophila pair-end 50 bp RNAseq

Hi, I used Tophat2 for alignment. The mapping rate is ~92% while the multiple mapping rate is ~25%. Based on the FastQC result, it has some problem in the per tile quality, I see many red strips. So I trimmed the low quality head and tail, but the mapping rates and multiple mapping rates are not changed much. What would be the reason? How can I fix it? Thanks!!!

Post the FastQC plots (quality, adapter) to give us an idea of the "problem" you are referring to. Did you do trimming based on quality (what was the cutoff used) or just blanket trimming for a certain number of bases at beginning/end of read?

Comment

per tile picture attached

Hi GenoMax, Thanks for your quick reply.

I should be more accurate, I trimmed the sequences based on the quality score. Do you think filter the whole sequence with low quality segment will be better?

Just looking at the per tile figure, what could be the reason of such situation. I checked the FastQC webpage, the author suggest that maybe the bubbles in the flow cell. What do you think?
      Attached Files

Comment

trimming parameters

I used trimmomatic with parameters:
        LEADING:20 \
        TRAILING:20 \
        SLIDINGWINDOW:4:20

Thanks!

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        Post the FastQC plots (quality, adapter) to give us an idea of the "problem" you are referring to. Did you do trimming based on quality (what was the cutoff used) or just blanket trimming for a certain number of bases at beginning/end of read?

Comment

Have you asked the sequencing facility if there was any problem with the run this sample was on? What kind of sequencer (MiSeq/HiSeq) is this data from? Particular tiles have been affected across entire run so unless there were multiple bubbles stuck at certain positions in the flowcell (seems unlikely) ...

Comment

Just confirmed by the sequencing core, their machine does go wrong around that time. So what should I do with it? Thanks!

Comment

They should not have released the data in the first place, if there was a known problem with the run. I suppose you can ask them to re-run your sample (if this was a machine/reagent problem then Illumina will generally provide free replacements, if your facility has a maintenance agreement).

Going back to the original question of multi-mapping .. that may be a characteristic of your sample. I would imagine that run related problems should not change the composition of your sequences (this can be validated if you do get a new run done from your facility).

Comment

Got you. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses