No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUMmer's (probably) strange behavior

Hi,

I'm trying to use MUMmer to align two plant genomes - A. thaliana (120MB) and A. lyrata (240MB). The two species are fairly close - 5 million years - similar to humans and chimps.

I used nucmer with the following command line to find alignment-blocks
    Code:
     nucmer -c 100 --prefix=ATref_ALquery AT.fasta AL.fasta
    Then, I parsed the delta file to reveal what percentage of each of the query scaffolds were covered on the reference genome. I was expecting to find a large percentage (maybe >70%) of each AL scaffold to map to one AT chromosome and the remaining 30% to be rearranged between various other chromosomes.

However, what I find is for each AL scaffold, only 30-60% of the scaffold has any kind of alignment. For example, for the largest scaffold in A. lyrata, only 35.2% maps to Chromosome1 of A. thaliana, while another 3% maps to all other chromosomes (only 38% of the scaffold has any sort of alignment).

Wonder if I'm doing something wrong or whether this is a standard observation for MUMmer runs? I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve the percentage of alignment.

Thanks

UPDATE: Just to be sure, I also performed an AT vs AT search and the results are as expected - 100% mapping of each AT chromosome.
    Last edited by flobpf; 04-23-2012, 05:53 AM.

Maybe there is an option to tell MUMmer to process both strands and you forgot it.

Originally posted by flobpf View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to use MUMmer to align two plant genomes - A. thaliana (120MB) and A. lyrata (240MB). The two species are fairly close - 5 million years - similar to humans and chimps.

I used nucmer with the following command line to find alignment-blocks
    Code:
     nucmer -c 100 --prefix=ATref_ALquery AT.fasta AL.fasta
    Then, I parsed the delta file to reveal what percentage of each of the query scaffolds were covered on the reference genome. I was expecting to find a large percentage (maybe >70%) of each AL scaffold to map to one AT chromosome and the remaining 30% to be rearranged between various other chromosomes.

However, what I find is for each AL scaffold, only 30-60% of the scaffold has any kind of alignment. For example, for the largest scaffold in A. lyrata, only 35.2% maps to Chromosome1 of A. thaliana, while another 3% maps to all other chromosomes (only 38% of the scaffold has any sort of alignment).

Wonder if I'm doing something wrong or whether this is a standard observation for MUMmer runs? I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve the percentage of alignment.

Thanks

UPDATE: Just to be sure, I also performed an AT vs AT search and the results are as expected - 100% mapping of each AT chromosome.

Comment

You need not set -c for 100,maybe it is too large.Or you may try to promer instead.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses