Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to split fastq into small fastq based on barcode?

Dear All,
    I have a big fastq file which include 34 samples. I want to split it into 34 small fastq files based on barcode sequences.
    I tried to do it with the script "split_libraries_fastq" in Qiime. However, a barcode read fastq file should be used in this script. I don't know how to get this barcode read fastq file, so I can't use this script to solve the problem.
    Is there any other method to solve the problem? Thank you!

Peter

FastX-toolkit?

Comment

Is this MiSeq or HiSeq data?
      Are you sure, the index was sequenced? If you do not specify it in the sample sheet, no index is sequenced. Then there is no way to determine the samples and split the fastq afterwards.
      Open the fastq with an appropriate text viewer and see if barcode information is present in the header of each read.

Comment

Two things you need to clarify. Is the barcode "inline" (part of the sequence read) or was it sequenced separately (as in Illumina multiplexing)?

As Vinz said above if you are not sure then you can "cat" or "zcat" the sequence file (pipe through "more") and then post a few sequences here so someone can help.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          As Vinz said above if you are not sure then you can "cat" or "zcat" the sequence file (pipe through "more") and then post a few sequences here so someone can help.
          Oh, man, use 'less' or 'zless' (press 'q' to return to command line). Way better than 'cat' piped through 'more'.

Comment

try perl.
            you can store barcode list in a hash.

Comment

Dear All,
              Thank you for your replies! I have solve the problem with the FASTX-ToolKit software. Besides, I also found the way to get a barcode.fastq with the script split_libraries_fastq.py (http://qiime.org/tutorials/extractin...astq_data.html).

Peter

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses