Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliquoting AMPure XP magnetic beads recomendations

I'm relatively new at working with RNA and I'm getting ready to make my first Library next week. Since I'm new to most these techniques and I want to be able to throw out anything that I feel might have been accidentally contaminated my standard operating procedure has been to make smaller aliqouts of all my reagents so I don't have to throw everything away if I make a mistake.

I was just considering aliqouting the AMPure XP magnetic beads for this reason but I have never worked with magnetic beads before. Other than vortexing the beads to make sure they are evenly suspended before aliqouting are there any considerations I need to be aware of? For example, I'm assuming it is OK to store them in standard RNA/DNA low binding tube eppendorf tubes?

I know this probably seems like a dumb question but the lab I'm in doesn't really have any molecular bio expertise and I'm learning everything from the product manuals, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

No need to even store them in low-binding tubes, regular RNAse/DNAse-free microcentrifuge tubes are fine. Also note that typically by the time you use the beads for library prep your RNA has already been converted to double-stranded DNA, so there is no need for RNAse-free "paranoia."

Ampure XP beads can actually be used for RNA purification/concentration too, but that is probably a topic for another thread.

Comment

just equilibrate the beads at RT for a while before mixing them (30 mins are enough for a 60 ml bottle), they contain PEG which is very viscous at 4 degrees. Mix really well and then make the aliquots. The binding capacity of the beads is so high that small pipetting errors or different amounts of beads in different aliquots won´t make any difference.
      A step further: save (A LOT of) money and make your own beads. Several protocols are available, like the one described in PMID: 22267522.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses