SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Nextera question pjuneja Illumina/Solexa 2 08-18-2012 11:39 PM
Very basic number question.. shyam_la Bioinformatics 13 06-12-2012 09:07 AM
basic question from a newby in sequencing joskee 454 Pyrosequencing 8 04-02-2012 10:13 AM
a basic question about coverage maria_mari Bioinformatics 7 01-30-2012 03:12 PM

Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Tsuyoshi

Question Basic question about local BLASTP

Hello.

I am using local BLASTP program to blast my protein sequences (around 600 sequences) against other organism's whole proteome database. What I want to do is to filter the output by some parameters. I have applied a reciprocal best_hit strategy, and the parameters were set as 'max identity > 30%', e<1e-10 and best_hit_overhang 0.25). However, in some cases, for example, the max identity between one best-hit set of query and subject sequence was as high as 40%, the query coverage was only 2%. Therefor, I want to exclude the best-hit sequences like that by setting a parameter like 'query coverage > 30%'.

The web based blast on NCBI could show the query coverage, but I do not know what is the command line for local BLASTP to output "query coverage". Please give me some ideas to resolve this problem. Thanks!

Last edited by Tsuyoshi; 04-22-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
mknut

You can try this:

Update to the newest BLAST+ package.
Use
Code:
-outfmt
, which allows the output to be in custom format. You can find documentation on custom output format here (BLAST Command Line Applications User Manual, Appendix C, option 'outfmt'). From what I see the values to use are
Code:
-outfmt 6 qcovs
, which should add query coverage per sequence value at the end of each output line and save it in tab-delimited format.
mknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
Tsuyoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknut View Post
You can try this:

Update to the newest BLAST+ package.
Use
Code:
-outfmt
, which allows the output to be in custom format. You can find documentation on custom output format here (BLAST Command Line Applications User Manual, Appendix C, option 'outfmt'). From what I see the values to use are
Code:
-outfmt 6 qcovs
, which should add query coverage per sequence value at the end of each output line and save it in tab-delimited format.
Thank you mknut.

I tried adding qcovs, however, the output files did not contain the qcovs information. For example, if I input the command as outfmt "qacc sacc evalue bitscore qcovs", the output files only contained qacc sacc evalue bitoscore. I am thinking whether qcovs is only available for blast but not for blastp.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
GenoMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I am thinking whether qcovs is only available for blast but not for blastp.
The manual seems to indicate that those options are available for all blast+ programs. Have you tried 'std qcovs'?

Or perhaps the command needs to be (note: single quotes):

Code:
-outfmt 6 'qcovs'

Last edited by GenoMax; 04-23-2013 at 04:47 AM.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
mknut

Quote:
Table C1: Options common to all BLAST+ search applications.
So yes, it seems that this command should be applicable to BLASTp. It also seems that the proper syntax to use is with double quotes, containing numerical argument as well as the rest (single quotes might work) so:
Code:
-outfmt "6 qcovs"
If this does not work, you might want to think about calculating the coverage % with a script, taking query lenght from your BLASTp query and alignment length from 'length' of BLASTp output.
mknut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
local blastp, query coverage