SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > MGISEQ (FKA Complete Genomics)

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WGS on a tiny invertebrate: what library prep and assembly strategy would you use? kmkocot General 1 08-26-2016 02:06 PM
How to find polycistronic transcripts in eukaryotes genomes lingling huang Bioinformatics 2 08-17-2016 04:48 PM
New to omics! Work with non-model lower eukaryotes... help :) EminentJunkie Introductions 3 06-04-2014 08:53 AM
Cheapest 96 well WGS sample prep andibody Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 02-18-2013 12:49 AM

Old 08-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
wbsimey

Default WGS prep of micro Eukaryotes

We are planning to sequence a denovo reference genome of a micro Eukaryote, but cannot extract enough DNA from a single individual for PacBio or Nextera Illumina protocols. We have extracted DNA from 68 individuals of a single population and get 3.56ng total (100ul of 35.6pg/ul). We plan to pool these individuals for a "composite" genome. Our concerns include: 1) are they all the same species/lineage? 2) how useful is a ref genome generated from a composite of individuals? and 3) what will the assembly challenges be with the likely high rate of variation in reads?
We have not seen many publications on this topic. Is anyone aware of publications on such a project or have any thoughts on this?
thanks,
wbsimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
luc

Hi wbsimey,

as mentioned in the other post I also would recommend to work with a single cell in this case (I assume a single individual can not propagate) and amplify the sample by whole genome amplification before library prep (MDA).
Fro prokaryotes this has been done frequently.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
wbsimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
Hi wbsimey,

as mentioned in the other post I also would recommend to work with a single cell in this case (I assume a single individual can not propagate) and amplify the sample by whole genome amplification before library prep (MDA).
Fro prokaryotes this has been done frequently.
Thank you Luc. When you say "as mentioned in the other post ..." which post are you referring to? Do you have a reference/protocol for whole genome amplification? Can this be done on a multicellular organism rather than a single cell?
wbsimey is offline   Reply With Quote