SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting differentially expressed genes based on RPKM values casshyr RNA Sequencing 3 04-30-2012 09:18 AM
DESeq and EdgeR: too many differentially expressed genes!?!? cutcopy11 Bioinformatics 5 12-08-2011 12:14 AM
Comparing mouse and human differentially expressed genes stephenhart General 3 11-16-2011 01:14 AM
Detecting differentially expressed genes using aligner outputs questioner Bioinformatics 6 11-03-2011 07:15 AM
gene ontology over-representation of differentially expressed genes damiankao Bioinformatics 10 10-20-2011 01:57 PM

Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
statsteam

Default Cufflinks, differentially expressed genes

Hi,

I am trying to run edgeR or DEGseq using the output from cufflinks.
I usually use mapped reads count as an input to edgeR or DEGseq. What cufflinks output do I need to use for an input to edgeR or DEGseq? I am thinking about adding "coverage" of each isoform for a gene from isoforms.fpkm_tracking file. Does this make sense?

Thank you!
statsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
chadn737

edgeR and DEGseq take raw counts. They then do their own normalizations. Taking results from cufflinks and trying to use this in any of these programs is not a good approach, even though a lot of people try it for some reason. If you want to use the output of Cufflinks for differential expression, then I would stick to the Cufflinks pipeline and use Cuffdiff.

Otherwise, extract read counts for each gene from your bam/sam/bed file and use this as input for edgeR/DEGseq.
chadn737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
statsteam

I agree that we'd better stick to cuffdiff for differentially expressed gene analysis. Doe cuffdiff have "paired"-analysis feature for the data with replicates? The paired-analysis feature is the main reason I want to use edgeR.
statsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Thomas Doktor

Cuffdiff supports replicates but does not handle paired replicates to my knowledge.

Btw, I would recommend using DESeq instead of DEGseq, the spelling is similar but the internal statistical modelling is very different.

Last edited by Thomas Doktor; 02-02-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Thomas Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
dietmar13

Default how many replicates in each condition do you have?

you could also use SAMseq (samr v2 R-package). this package works with many kinds of designs: paired, quantitative, right censored (like overall survival).
in my hands, SAMseq produced most significant genes (followed by edgeR, baySeq, DESeq, NOIseq, and far far behind cuffdiff) , which were rather robust in bootstrap validations.

my design: 12 normal vs 12 cancer (paired, means from the same patient).
dietmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
IBseq

Hello guys,
if anyone knows, could you please tell me why is this happening:

i ran cufflinks on galaxy with default parameters and had satisfactory results.
I then ran the same samples with same parameters except changing max intron length from 300000 to 600000

in the second run have the exact number of transcripts but the FPKM values are much much lower..

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
ibseq
IBseq is offline   Reply With Quote