Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRA -> FastQ, Problem with SRA toolkit?

Hello everyone!

I saw several other posts about this toolkit, but it seems most people ran into problems later on instead of during set up like I did.

I downloaded several .SRA data files from NCBI. I would like to convert them into .FastQ files, and then analyze them in Galaxy.

I downloaded the SRAtoolkit, and opened Command Prompt. However, when I try to change the directory to the folder where I extracted the tool kit ( cd C:\myname\Downloads\sratoolkit.2.3.2-5-win64\sratoolkit.2.3.2-5-win64\ ) I receive the following error: "The system cannot find the path specified."

What am I doing wrong? I have been trying everything I can think of for the past 2 hours. This is my first time doing anything like this and I'm sure I'm making a really simple mistake...

Thank you!
    Kelsey

This is an obvious question but I will ask. sratoolkit is only supported on 64-bit windows. Are you using some flavor of 64-bit windows(XP/7/8)?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      This is an obvious question but I will ask. sratoolkit is only supported on 64-bit windows. Are you using some flavor of 64-bit windows(XP/7/8)?
      Thank you for your prompt response! I am on Windows 7, 64-bit Operating System.

Comment

Are you able to see the sratoolkit directory at the c:\myname\Downloads level via command prompt?

Comment

I typed dir c:\myname\downloads and I see it there.

Comment

You need to unzip the file first.

Comment

That file is still zipped.

You will have to unzip the file. Once you double click on the zip file there should be an "Extract all files" option at the top of the windows explorer window. Follow those prompts.

Comment

That file is still zipped.

You will have to unzip the file. Once you double click on the zip file there should be an "Extract all files" option at the top of the windows explorer window. Follow those prompts.
                Thank you, both you. I can't believe I didn't realize that... Now I changed the directory, the change directory command worked, but when I try the next step "type 'perl configuration-assistant.perl' (without the quotation marks)" it says No such file or directory. I have perl installed on this computer. Should I reinstall it, could I maybe have the wrong version?

Thank you again, I have never used command prompt, perl, or any of these other programs before so please be patient with my simple questions.

Comment

Run the sratookit.jar file (in the "bin" directory) using java instead. It should achieve the same result (of creating a local space where reference files downloaded from SRA for referenced-compression based files will be stored).

The perl script is also located in the "sratoolkit.2.3.2-5-win64\sratoolkit.2.3.2-5-win64\bin" directory. So you will have to cd into bin directory.
                  Last edited by GenoMax; 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Run the sratookit.jar file (in the "bin" directory) using java instead. It should achieve the same result (of creating a local space where reference files downloaded from SRA for referenced-compression based files will be stored).

The perl script is also located in the "bin" directory.
                    Should something happen when I run it? My screen flashes but nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by kelseyca View Post
                      Should something happen when I run it? My screen flashes but nothing happens.
                      Do you have java installed and is "sratoolkit.jar" file showing up as "executable jar file"?

You should see this:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by GenoMax; 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

The perl script is also located in the "sratoolkit.2.3.2-5-win64\sratoolkit.2.3.2-5-win64\bin" directory. So you will have to cd into bin directory.
                        Oh, I didn't do that. Let me try cd into the bin folder.

Comment

Do you have java installed and is "sratoolkit.jar" file showing up as "executable jar file"?
                          Yes to both. OK! I cd to the bin folder and the perl script went through. Now it is telling me "configuration is correct"! So it should work now, I guess?

I found a youtube tutorial so hopefully the rest of it is straight forward and I can figure out the conversion to fastq. Thank you so much, GenoMax! You are the best!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses