No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA - input files

Hi,

I am trying to align paired end reads (Illumina) to a reference genome using BWA. I have 10 reads files, 5 for each direction.

In this old post 'totalnew' says to align the files separately:
    Code:
    bwa aln database.fasta 4_1.fq > 1_1.fq.sai
    bwa aln database.fasta 4_2.fq > 1_2.fq.sai
    bwa aln database.fasta 5_1.fq > 2_1.fq.sai
    bwa aln database.fasta 5_2.fq > 2_2.fq.sai
    [...]
    I have been reading for quite a while now so sorry if I missed something totally obvious but how do I run sampe from there on? Can I just say
    Code:
    bwa sampe database.fa 1_1.fq.sai 2_1.fq.sai 3_1... 1_2.fq.sai 2_2.fq.sai 3_2... 1_1.fq 2_1.fq 3_1... 1_2.fq 2_2.fq 3_2... > alignment.sam
    or do I need to run sampe for each file separately?
    What if I concatenate all reads files into s_1_sequence.txt and s_2_sequences.txt and then run bwa aln twice and bwa samse once?

cheers!

ps (offtopic) @lh3: I tried downloading bwa 0.5.8a but it seems as though there are files missing. Here what I get:
    Code:
    wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/bio-bwa/files/bwa-0.5.8a.tar.bz2/download
    bunzip2 bwa-0.5.8a.tar.bz2
    tar -xf bwa-0.5.8a.tar
    ls bwa-0.5.8a
    bntseq.c  bwase.c     bwtaln.c  bwtgap.h    bwtio.c     bwtsw2_aux.c    bwtsw2_main.c  is.c     kstring.c  main.h        simple_dp.c     utils.c
    bntseq.h  bwase.h     bwtaln.h  bwt_gen     bwt_lite.c  bwtsw2_chain.c  ChangeLog      khash.h  kstring.h  Makefile      solid2fastq.pl  utils.h
    bwa.1     bwaseqio.c  bwt.c     bwt.h       bwt_lite.h  bwtsw2_core.c   COPYING        kseq.h   kvec.h     NEWS          stdaln.c
    bwape.c   bwa.txt     bwtgap.c  bwtindex.c  bwtmisc.c   bwtsw2.h        cs2nt.c        ksort.h  main.c     qualfa2fq.pl  stdaln.h
    I downloaded 0.5.7 and it runs fine.

I think you'd better to run sampe for each PE files separately:

bwa sampe [options] <prefix> <in1.sai> <in2.sai> <in1.fq> <in2.fq>

Although you concatenate all read files into two PE seq is okay, I recommend you split them (for example: 100M reads per files) and run in different CPU cores or computer nodes (MPI mode), so that it would be more faster.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So you suggest running sampe at least five times and then merge the resulting sam files?

I will try this.

Cheers!

*** edit
      Thanks, works fine.
      Last edited by Bruins; 07-12-2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses