No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• references genome differences

Hi guys,

I am using 2 references genome for alignment.
    I was wondering about:
    Is it possible that the size/length of the chromosomes will be different between different genome references?

I found information (such as size) on the GRCh37 here:

I didnt find for the HG_18_Broad_variant this info on the chromosomes size..

Thanks,
    Pap

Answer for your question in bold is "likely possible" since there are multiple "patch" releases (minor revisions, if you will) for genomes.

For Example as noted for GRCh38 (this time no co-ordinates were changed but the total number of bases changed):

GRCh38.p1 is the first patch release for the GRCh38 reference assembly. No chromosome coordinates changed. This release includes 13 FIX patches and 3 NOVEL patches.
    Information about the Hg18_Broad_Variant is on this page: https://browser.cghub.ucsc.edu/help/assemblies/
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-27-2014, 08:23 AM.

Comment

HG18 = GRCh36
      HG19 = GRCh37

They do have different lengths / coordinates. It's possible to convert between them, but better to pick one and stick with it.

Comment

Thanks Genomax for the explain and the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
          HG18 = GRCh36
          HG19 = GRCh37

They do have different lengths / coordinates. It's possible to convert between them, but better to pick one and stick with it.

Thanks Brian!
          If i understand you right:
          I can use the same coordinates for both HG19_Broad_variant and GRCh37-lite?

I found this :
          HG19 - This is the UCSC variant of the GRCh37 genome assembly.

In the link thar Genomax shared:

If the HG19 is a variant of GRCh37, so the coordinates are the same?

Thanks,
          Pap

Comment

@pap: Unless you are sure about the provenance you would be taking a risk transferring coordinates between two genome datasets.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              @pap: Unless you are sure about the provenance you would be taking a risk transferring coordinates between two genome datasets.
              Sounds fair
              Thanks!

Comment

If a sequence is present in both hg19 and GRCh37 (and all its patches), they have exactly the same length and coordinate. The actual sequence may be different as ucsc converted all ambiguous bases to N. There are also more sequences in GRC patches. Naming is also different.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses