Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programs to filter out the Mitochonrial DNA from Hightroughput Sequencing Reads

Hi all,

I have Whole Genome Shotgun Reads (Illumina) of a mammalian species. I am interested in filtering out all the reads matching mitochondrial DNA before starting the downstream analysis. I know the right thing is to blast them or map them against mtDNA. But, Do anyone knows about available software or scripts to do this? I would like to know if there are tools for it before writing the code myself.

Cheers,
    Fernando

Although I have not tried this very approach, I bet you can use Bowtie combined with the --un feature.. Make a fasta file that contains your mt genome, build the bowtie index, and run.

Comment

Align to the whole genome, including mtDNA, using bowtie or bwa or whatever. Then you can filter your .bam for reads that align to the mtDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
        Align to the whole genome, including mtDNA, using bowtie or bwa or whatever. Then you can filter your .bam for reads that align to the mtDNA.
        I agree. there is no way to know which reads at mt so you have to align first.

Comment

You could build indices with your mapping program of choice and map your reads to it.

Take a look at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/...2759&hopt=html (Organelle Genome Resources) to download sequences for your indices.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
            Hi all,

I have Whole Genome Shotgun Reads (Illumina) of a mammalian species. I am interested in filtering out all the reads matching mitochondrial DNA before starting the downstream analysis. I know the right thing is to blast them or map them against mtDNA. But, Do anyone knows about available software or scripts to do this? I would like to know if there are tools for it before writing the code myself.

Cheers,
            Fernando
            As a sanity check, be sure to BLAST the mtDNA against the genome after you have mapped or assembled your reads. The bowtie --un method is very fast for filtering reads, but unfortunately it does not work in my experience. Sure, it will filter out some reads but when you BLAST your assembly against the organelle genome after assembly it is quite clear that this type of filtering is not really effective.

It is slower, but I use BLAST for filtering, which leaves no contamination in the final assembly. Either way you choose to go, just keep in mind that checking that the filtering actually worked is quick and easy, and will reduce headaches downstream.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses