Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools SNP Caller versus MAQ SNP caller

I have been using MAQ's variant caller to call SNPs. I now want to use Samtools.pl varfilter and want to make sure that I maintain the same conditions I had for MAQ. My question is which of the parameters are common to MAQ and Samtools' variant caller?

Thanks,
    BW

Take a look to this .
    -drd

Comment

MAQ SNP caller

Dear all,

In need to know if MAQ SNP caller takes .bam files in input.

I have aligned reads by Novoalign and I want to use MAQ only as a SNP caller, is it possible or the alignment with MAQ is mandatory?

Waiting for your feedback,
      Thanks a lot

Elena

Comment

No, MAQ does not take BAM files as input. Use "samtools pileup -A", however "pileup" will be removed from samtools in the next release, so you might as well move over to "samtools mpileup".

Comment

Thanks a lot,
          I used samtools pileup and I had no problem, but I would like to try with an other SNP caller, for example MAQ.
          So, as far as I understood, It is not possible to call variants with MAQ starting with reads aligned by Novoalign. If I want to call variants with MAQ I had to re-align my reads with MAQ. Is it correct?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Elena

Comment

This may be a dead thread, but just in case, I believe the old version of samtools pileup (the new version is samtools mpileup) can be forced to produce the MAQ consensus call (it requires a special option, -c). Also, if you are interested in another caller, the pileup can be used as input to the BSNP genotype caller at http://compgen.bscb.cornell.edu/GPhoCS/BSNP/ .
            --Brad

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses