Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie for Windows 7

I tried to install bowtie on my windows 7 32bit and 64bit, and I found it cannot align large size data set. When I used the indexes file of H. sapiens (2.7GB), bowtie told me that cannot load the indexes files. Even I run only one chromosome fasta file, bowtie still cannot always run successfully.
    Anybody knew this solution?

Thanks

I don't know if this is your issue, but if you got the Windows binary from Sourceforge it's 32-bit only, even if you run it under 64-bit Windows. To get a 64-bit binary you'd have to build from source with a compiler that supports 64-bit output. Installing 64-bit Linux might be easier, especially when you need to use other tools in future.

Comment

Hi RDW,

I downloaded the 32bit binary bowtie from the sourceforge and tried to run on my 32bit Win 7 machine. The fasta/fastq file cannot exceed 10K reads, otherwise bowtie always exit automatically and the output .sam file is also not completed.
      I tried 3 machines and still got the same problem but Linux and Mac version work well.
      Any ideas about this problem?

Comment

Sorry, perhaps I didn't put that very clearly. I was guessing that 32-bit is the problem - you need a 64-bit version to process larger files. For the Linux and Mac versions, the Sourceforge site has 64-bit bowtie binaries you can run on the 64-bit versions of these operating systems. Unfortunately, the Sourceforge site only has a 32-bit bowtie binary for Windows available. Although this will run on either version of Windows, it will always run in 32-bit mode, even on 64-bit Windows.

My guess is that, if you must use Windows, you need to run a 64-bit bowtie for Windows binary on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Since you can't download a 64-bit bowtie for Windows binary from Sourceforge, you'd have to compile one yourself from the source code, using an appropriate compiler (make sure it supports generating 64-bit executables, and that any necessary compiler flags have been set). I haven't tried this, and don't know how difficult it would be - I would suggest using Linux or Mac instead if you don't already have experience in compiling for 64-bit Windows.

Comment

Hi RDW,

Thank you for your reply!
          Yes, I tried 32bit binary and it cannot process large files. I also tried to compile 64 bit from source code but failed. So I have to switch to Linux or Mac OS to process large file.

I really appreciate your help again!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses