Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mergeBed command not found

I am running bedtools 2.17.0 and using the mergeBed command I get an error that says comand not found

Code:
     mergeBed -i hgTables.bed > merged.bed
    The mergeBed folder is in the srcdirectory and has Makefile, mergeBed.cpp, mergeBed.h, mergeMain.cpp in it. Thank you.

It's not in your PATH then. It's simplest to keep executables in ~/bin or somewhere like that and then just copy things there after you compile them.

Comment

So are you saying to put the hgTables.bed in the bin? Where is the executable for bedtools, I though that was the main folder. Thank you.

Comment

No, put the executables in a folder in your path and keep the bed files where ever they currently are. When you type a command, the list of folders in the $PATH are traversed until the executable is found. Since the mergeBed executable isn't in one of those, you get the error. So, either move it to one of those or change the variable (how to do this depends on your shell, which is likely bash).

Comment

So I put the hgTables.bed in the /home/dnascope/bedtools_2.17.0/bin and changed the directory to there. I can see the mergebed executable there, but when I run the command
          Code:
           mergeBed -i hgTables.bed > merge.bed
          the mergeBed command is not found. Thank you for your help.

I also tried, /home/dnascope/bedtools_2.17.0/bin and changed the directory to there andleaving the hgTables in the Bedtools-2.17-0 folder outside the bin folder with the same result.
          Last edited by cmccabe; 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

As I said, /home/dnascope/bedtools_2.17.0/bin isn't in your PATH. Very few systems will looks for executables in your current directory (it's good way to shoot yourself in the foot). You could just:
            Code:
            ./mergeBed -i hgTables.bed > merge.bed
            since you're already in the same directory. "./" is just short-hand for "the directory I'm in". If you give the path to an executable when you issue a command, then the system will alternatively just look there (obviously, this requires more typing, which is why moving executables to a directory in the $PATH is normally done.

Comment

Thanks that worked. Out of curiosity what is the $PATH of bedtools or is there a way to find it in ubuntu? Thanks

Comment

$PATH is a variable used by your shell. The actual path of bedtools is where ever you put it (you can use the "find" function should you ever forget). You'll want to get a book on using unix/linux.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                0 responses