No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard file format for profiles?

Hi all,
    I would like to share an issue I'm facing... I'm working with users who like IGV (from broad institute), others who like IGB (genoviz) and other simply use the UCSC Genome Browser to visualize profiles for ChIP-seq experiments.
    It happens that there's no standard file format for all three platform.
    Well, they all support bedgraph but this is definitely unsuitable for NGS data. IGV has TDF, IGB has Useq, UCSC has bigWig... is there anybody working to propose a standard (in the same way SAM has been introduced) ?

d

bam bam bam bam

BAM format is supported by IGV as well as by UCSC and is just coming out in recent version of IGB

Comment

All these formats (tdf/bigwig/useq) have their own advantages. I guess it is hard to unify them. If I were asked to design a format, I would probably write a program and a C+Java library to index and achieve random access to a bgzip'ed wig file. It will have the following advantages: a) wig is the most widely used; b) bgzip'ed wig is small in size; c) the C bgzf library supports remote access (essential to UCSC); d) the indexing scheme should be easy enough to be implemented in different languages.

In addition, I know bigWig support is on the todo list of IGV. Once this is done, we will have a java library and bigwig will be quickly adopted by those java based viewers. BigWig is both the most technically advanced and the most technically challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by malcook View Post
        BAM reports the alignments, not the profiles on a chromosome. You may say that BAM->Coverage is straightforward (and this function is included in IGV) but one (me) can obtain profiles after a huge processing of alignment data...

Comment

Have you noticed this paper? Is it good?

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...short/btq164v1
            Nice, thanks! I'll give a try, will the genome browsers do? :-)

d

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...short/btq164v1
              Thanks for pointing this paper, Heng. Looks pretty useful.

Comment

It's hard to build if one has hdf5 and pytables already installed...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses