Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software download on a remote server

how to install software to a remote server. I access the server from windows laptop using Putty and move folders/files to the server using WinScp-

Now, what are the steps that I should follow to download a software (for example, velvet http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/) to the remote server

Log into the remote server. Do the following (but do check the manual info for wget/curl commands, i.e. $ man wget ) to download the velvet package.

Code:
    $ wget [url]http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/velvet_1.2.10.tgz (or replace with the actual link for whatever you are trying to download[/url]
    or

Code:
    $curl [url]http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/velvet_1.2.10.tgz[/url] (or replace with the actual link for whatever you are trying to download)
    This is only a small part of the actual install process.

Since you do not seem to have administrative rights on the server it would save you a whole lot of trouble if you can request the administrator(s) to install whatever it is that you want to use.

Comment

thank you very much- velvet is now downloaded using:

$ wget http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/velvet_1.2.10.tgz

then I tried to unzip it using:

$ tar -zxvf velvet_1.2.10.tgz

(and now I have velvet_1.2.10)_ a very simple question, how to use velvet now? (as it is my first time to install a software), I can easily use the already installed software via (module load software) but do not know how could I use velvet (which I have just installed as "module load velvet" dose not work??

Comment

You'll make your life easier if you go through a tutorial on how to use Linux from the command line. In brief, though, you need to update the PATH with something like:

Code:
        export PATH="$PATH:/path/to/the/directory/with/velvet"
        There are other (better!) ways to do this (namely creating ~/bin, putting executables in there and then permanently adding that to your PATH by modifying .bashrc), but the above example is probably easier for a one-off use. BTW, "/path/to/the/directory/with/velvet" will need to be changed to the actual path to where velvet is installed, in case that wasn't apparent (it probably wasn't if you've never used Linux before ).

Comment

Don't think that's going to do it as the manual implies that there are no binaries, but velvet has to be compiled first. mmmm, in general you have to read the manuals of the programs you intend to install/use. More often than not they tell you exactly what needs to be done..

savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
            Don't think that's going to do it as the manual implies that there are no binaries, but velvet has to be compiled first. mmmm, in general you have to read the manuals of the programs you intend to install/use. More often than not they tell you exactly what needs to be done..

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~zerbino/velvet/Manual.pdf
            Suckage, I'd hoped that the OP had downloaded a package containing the binary.

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Stewart
              I merely access any detailed idea about it but I think before software download on a remote server one need to First install Unified Remote Server on the related computer. This will allow the device to connect and communicate with the PC on the home network. This requires Windows and .NET Framework 4 as well.
              The AI doesn't seem to have improved much.

Comment

Perhaps she is not from this galaxy .. it will take time.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                  Perhaps she is not from this galaxy .. it will take time.
                  Do we need Jodie Foster to make "Contact"

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses