No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipeline for obtaining phased haplotype sequences w/out references

Hello,

I'm working on a pipeline for obtaining phased haplotype sequences from diploid organisms. The input data are Illumina reads from reduced representation libraries, and the goal is to use the phased sequences to estimate gene trees for coalescent analyses. I am working with non-model species, so I don't have a reference genome nor any reference panels for phasing SNPs. I've worked up a pipeline (see below), but given the proliferation of tools out there, I was hoping to get feedback on whether alternative (better) tools exist than those that I've selected. Pipeline:

1) Demultiplex and clean reads (Casava, Illumiprocessor)
    2) de novo assembly (ABySS)
    3) Map contigs to reference sequences of interest (in some cases we have a set of reference loci we are interested in recovering; python scripts already written for this step)
    3) Map reads to consensus (BWA)
    4) Call SNPs and phase using read information (GATK)
    5) Output phased haplotype sequences (custom python scripts?)

In addition to advice on alternative tools, I would appreciate any input on step (5) above. Are there any tools that can do this? From what I can tell, samtools can output sequences from VCF files of phased SNPs, but these will just contain ambiguity codes rather than 2 phased haplotype sequences. I don't think GATK has this functionality yet. Will I just have to write a script to take the phasing SNP information from the phased VCF from GATK and add it back into the consensus sequences?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm trying too to obtain two different consensus sequences starting from a phased VCF for a diploid organism. Were you able to find an efficient solution?
    Thanks

Comment

Sett,

I ended up writing a python script to do this. It's available at:

miscellaneous code for manipulating genetic data. Contribute to mgharvey/misc_python development by creating an account on GitHub.

Essentially, it takes a phased vcf file output by GATK (but see details below) and inserts the SNPs into reference sequences in fasta format for the relevant loci (e.g. those used as the index for mapping reads initially). For each diploid individual, two sequences are output for the two alleles. The script starts inserting SNPs at the beginning of the reference for each locus/contig, and correctly phases subsequent SNPs that were successfully phased by GATK. If some SNPs from that locus were not successfully phased, it inserts appropriate IUPAC ambiguity codes (unless you use the --resolve flag to force arbitrary phasing).

The input I use (and expected by the script) is actually a phased SNP table, which can be output using the GATK VariantsToTable tool. To obtain this, after phasing I make a separate vcf file for each sample in my vcf using the SelectVariants tool (using the -sn flag to output a single individual). I then run the VariantsToTable tool with the following flags (which determine which data columns get output to the table): -F CHROM -F POS -F QUAL -GF GT -GF DP -GF HP -GF AD. The full command would be:

java -Xmx2g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
      -T VariantsToTable \
      -R Xenops_minutus_All_to_probes.fasta \
      -V Xenops_minutus_XM2-phased.vcf \
      -F CHROM -F POS -F QUAL -GF GT -GF DP -GF HP -GF AD \
      -o Xenops_minutus_XM2-phased-table.txt

I then run this in the python script, the command for which is:

python add_phased_snps_to_seqs.py REF_FASTA PHASED_TABLE OUT_FILE

With the arguments in caps being replaced with your reference fasta file, phased table of SNPs, and desired output file location/name, respectively.

This script is still in draft stage. Let me know if you use it and have issues.

Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike! I'll try your script.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses