Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAPaligner problem: Query File Error: Can't read

So what seems to be a super-easy problem has proved itself difficult to resolve. I've posted the the SOAP mailing list and to the contact email listed on the SOAP website...

Basically, I get this an error that seems to refer to the input fasta file..

The command:
    Code:
    macmanes@macmanes:~/soap-2.20$ ./soap -D /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/ 
    tuco.fa.index –a /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/reads_a.fa -o /media/hd/tuco/mrna/ 
    SOAP_results/soap

The painful results:
    Code:
    Begin Program SOAPaligner/soap2 
    Fri Apr 16 12:51:34 2010 
    Reference: /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/tuco.fa.index 
    Query File Error: Can't read
    Here are the reads:
    Code:
    macmanes@macmanes:~/soap-2.20$ head /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/reads_a.fa 

>1 
    CAGATATCTTGGGGAGCTCCGGGCGTAGCAGGGTTGGGGAGCCGTGAGAGGGGGCGGCTGTCAGGGCCGGGTGGCACCGGGCGGGCGCGCGCCCGCCTGCCT 

>2 
    CGGGAAGCGGGGAGCCTGAAGCTGGGGCCACCCCTCGCCGCCACCGGCGTGCAGCCGCCCAGGATTGCAGCCCGGAAGGGTCCCCCTGCAGGGGGTCTGGCG 

>3 
    GTTCCATGTGAACAGCAGTTGAACATGGGTCAGTCGGTCCTGAGAGATGGGCGAGCGCCGTTCCGACGGGACGGGACGACGGCCTCCGTCGCCCTCAGCCGC 

>4 
    TGGGTCCCCATTAGAGGCGGTGAAATCGATGGCCACCGTGAAGCTGGTCTGGCAGCCGCCCCTGATGTAACCCAGAGACGGTGTGCACCTTTTCCACCGCGC 

>5 
    GCCAGCCTGAACAACATCATGAGACTTTGTCTTGGGAGGCAAAAAGAGAAACTTAGACTATTCACATTAGAAATCAAGTAACAGAAACAACATCTCCATTCA
    The error seems so elementary, yet, I have been unable to solve. The reads seems to be fine, and permissions are set appropriately.

Anybody know how to fix this problem?

I haven't used SOAP, but I found once a software that did not like numbers as fasta headers.

Comment

yeah, I dont think that's it: I've tried a few different input files, and none of them work.. All these are 101bp Illumina reads.. I wonder if SOAP can handle reads this long.

Comment

SOAP2.20 can support fasta format

Comment

Originally posted by baby1885 View Post
          SOAP2.20 can support fasta format
          yeah, just not MY fasta I guess..

Comment

Hi Peromhc,
            Did you find a solution to your problem of SOAP2 not reading the file. In my case it seems to read the forward file just fine but when I try to do PE alignment, SOAP come with error Cannot write output file.
            Any ideas,
            Thanks.

Comment

Hi Everybody,
              I ran into the same problem.
              The solution was simple though, after some help from a friend :-). Make sure that the dashes for the command line are the right ones. They might not be if you copy the example on how to run it from the SOAP webpage. So just make sure that the "-" in front of a, D and o is the right one. If you look carefully on the example on the SOAP webpage the dash in front of the "a" is a "long dash". I just exchanged it and now it runs as it should.

Hope this helps.
              Cheers,
              Tomas

Comment

I've been having the same problem, changed the short dash to long dash (guess all dashes are not born equal).
                This changed my error message to a simple:
                "Reference:
                Query File Error: Can't read"

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses