Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNAseq data: how to evaluate if the replicates are good or not

I have two replicates for each sample and would like to downstream differential gene expression analysis. I could do some correlation analysis, either pearson or spearman. I also scatterplot them (examples attached here). Just wonder how I would tell if the replicates are consistent with each other. I mean for the examples I provided here, can I treat them as replicates?

Thank you very much for any inputs!
    Attached Files

I don't think there is going to be a universal answer to this since the degree of correlation between replicates will very much depend on your biological system. Our normal approach is to cluster all of the replicates for all conditions and then see what pattern emerges. What you hope to see is that the replicates for a condition cluster together more closely than samples from different conditions.

By doing this sort of larger scale clustering you can also then spot samples which are outliers from the whole set and which might have technical problems. You can also potentially spot sample swaps if you have pairs of samples which appear misplaced.

If there is no real grouping then this doesn't mean the replicates are bad, it just means that the noise in your system is higher than the between condition signal (which in turn doesn't mean that you won't find any differentially expressed genes). More concerning is if the samples cluster, but by something other than the biological groupings - for example by the batch in which they were run. Again this is an indication of poor signal or high noise, but as long as you have a properly randomised design it doesn't mean that the data is unusable.

Comment

In a way you do not want the replicates to be totally consistent, because then you won't have the possibility to say that a differential expression between conditions is significant, compared to the expression differences in between replicates of the same condition.

If you used cufflinks to do the differential expression analysis, you can do some nice correlation analysis with cummeRbund.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses