No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampure bead clean up

Hello,
    How much drying time do you normally allow when using ampure beads XP to clean up your library preps?

I've been using the standard 15 minutes as mentioned in the TruSeq DNA library prep method (or less if the beads appear to be drying quicker). However, I have recently heard of other labs using just 2 minutes drying time as they believe the beads should be a little wet and sticky.

What does everyone think?

Thanks for your help,
    Anna.

15 minutes is a bit overkill. You don't want your beads to "crack" when drying, but you don't want them to have residual ethanol either (effects elution). General rule I use is 2-5 minutes, but just give your plate/tube an eyeball and make sure they aren't wet.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your reply. 2 minutes just doesn't seem enough. Is there not any ethanol carryover this way? I keep an eye on the beads and usually 10-15 minutes is fine so that the beads appear matt and not shiny.

Comment

Yes, 2 mins at room temperature is generally not enough. You can put them in the speedvac for a couple of mins to speed up the drying.

Comment

I failed to mention that it depends greatly on what type of plate/tube you're using. In a V-bottom plate, it will take a few minutes longer than a U-bottom because of the more-gradual taper. I agree with the speedvac suggestion if you are using a tubebased approach.

Comment

I use 15m as well, but just looked over the manufacture's protocol and found this note...

NOTE: A dry time of >5 min at Room Temperature is optional to ensure all traces of Ethanolare removed but take care not to over dry the bead ring (bead ring appears cracked) as this will significantly decrease elution efficiency.After a visual inspection, I resuspend the beads after 10 minutes.

...so maybe 5 minutes would be safer?

Comment

Sorry snorberg, but that's a slight (but crucial!) misquote:

A dry time of 5 min at Room Temperature is optional to ensure all traces of Ethanol are removed but take care not to over dry the bead ring (bead ring appears cracked) as this will significantly decrease elution efficiency.

Comment

Manually we do it for 15minutes, because if there is still ethanol left, the quality of the library is not good.
                With our Sciclone, it's 2-5 minutes on 37°C.
                I don't think it's bad when it's cracked, but you must see that the beads won't 'fly away' eg. with use under a flow.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses